Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If you have, or know someone with LTs, ORY, and a Hooker catback, is there any rasp?
No, none at all.
37.04%
Yes, but just a little.
44.44%
Yes, quite a bit.
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Anything at all I can do about rasp? LT, ORY, Hooker Poll too.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anything at all I can do about rasp? LTs, ORY, Hooker

I have LTs, TSP's ORY, and a hooker catback. I got it because supposedly it had the least rasp of any catback that people on here were telling me about. So I got it. I like the sound of it, maybe a little on the quiet side, but still sounds pretty nice. All except the rasp. I hadn't heard it before so I didn't know how I would feel about it, but now I know. I hate it. I don't know why, it just doesn't sound like a musclecar to me, it just sounds wrong. So I'm wondering, is there anything at all I can do about fixing it except spending a few hundred dollars changing the exhaust? I could add cats... But then I would have to buy a new catback because it would be way too quiet for me, and both of those things would cost a lot. I could go duals, but that would cost hundreds too. I don't know what else to do. Do I have any options other than that? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 10-09-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have LT's/ORY and a Magnaflow catback and I also have the rasp you are referring to. Friday I am getting a Magnaflow bullet installed in my y-pipe. I am hoping that will cut down most of it.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
I have LTs, TSP's ORY, and a hooker catback. I got it because supposedly it had the least rasp of any catback that people on here were telling me about. So I got it. I like the sound of it, maybe a little on the quiet side, but still sounds pretty nice. All except the rasp. I hadn't heard it before so I didn't know how I would feel about it, but now I know. I hate it. I don't know why, it just doesn't sound like a musclecar to me, it just sounds wrong. So I'm wondering, is there anything at all I can do about fixing it except spending a few hundred dollars changing the exhaust? I could add cats... But then I would have to buy a new catback because it would be way too quiet for me, and both of those things would cost a lot. I could go duals, but that would cost hundreds too. I don't know what else to do. Do I have any options other than that? Thanks for any help.
cheap and loud, just go open headers
Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM

put a bullet in the i -pipe that should help you out
Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Those bullets will make it quieter though right? I don't want it to be any quieter. Louder if anything. And not open header loud or even normal duals loud(i would be getting quiet ones if I got them), but louder than hooker loud. lol. I don't know what to do...
Old 09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think too much emphasis is put on rasp.....every exhaust has some/sounds different.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1's are loud and raspy with full exhaust. Keep exhaust stock or get a Mustang.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Those bullets will make it quieter though right? I don't want it to be any quieter. Louder if anything. And not open header loud or even normal duals loud(i would be getting quiet ones if I got them), but louder than hooker loud. lol. I don't know what to do...

I'd like to know that too.

As of right now, I have LT's, ORY, and hooker catback w/an electric cutout in the I pipe. Its crap!!! I can't stand the rasp. The rasp every one has is from about 2000-300 RPMs. Yes, the hooker is really quiet and does rasp. Its really not that bad compared to most tho. Now, open cutout? Its loud as hell, and the rasp is ear periceingly loud/crappy. The idle is as loud as TD's, but has no good tone.

Do what i'm doing. I don't want my car to be as loud as dumped TD's and I wanna get rid of the rasp. I heard the TD flowmaster 1 chambers and fell in love. I'm putting in some of those 3" hi-flo cats(the really small round ones)and going out the back. That'll quiet it down and sound awesome.

I got a guy that'll make my whole custom exhaust for $300ish. I'm supplying the cats, mufflers and tips.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

That sounds good. How much will it cost you total with all the parts too? Once you get that on there let me know how it sounds and how loud it is. I would love to know .
Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I wanna hear it too. It'll probably be at least 2 weeks or longer. I gotta order some parts and have time to get it done.

I got a real good deal on some good cats on ebay. It was the last few this guy had and I offered him $100 for the pair. They were $60 each. If you look, you'll see the cheaper $40 cats...those are more restrictive than the ones I got. Pictures prove it as mine doesn't have as many holes(< holes = more flow).

Cats shipped $116
Hooker tips $80*
Flowmasters $150*
Shop to build my custom exhaust out the back $300-ish
(Under the axle, aluminized steel, flanges to unbolt before the axle)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

I should ask the guy at the shop here abour going under the axle too. If I could get them to unhook like yours I would be fine with them going under there as long as I could still make it over stuff I can get over with my TSP Y now. He already quoted me $575 for a 2.5" X back over the axle, with the mufflers, no tips though. I wonder how much cheaper it would be just to have him stick them straight through under the axle.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same setup and just didn't like the sharp tone to the exhaust, now I got dynatech splitflow race muffler right off of the header. It's alot lighter that way!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rasp rules!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Cats help a lot
Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cats cut down on rasp by a substantial amount.

And losing 4 horses will not hurt your et's.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

i have longtubes into a catless y into a hooker system. i like the way it sounds. i used to have a true dual x pipe system. either way tho, they will never sound like a mustang if that is what you have in mind. its disappointing...i know
Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I see you are thinking of adding a torque converter, wait until then to decide if you need to modify your exhaust. I have the full Hooker setup on my 2001 Camaro SS: Long tube, ORY and catback. I also have a B&M Holeshot 3000 and 3.73 gears ... taking off from a light normally, I do not get the rasp you are talking about. I do know it though, as I had the exhaust before I had converters or the gears. The converter allows the rpms to be higher when taking off from a stop, which is past the rasp point. I can still hear the rasp if I throttle my SS properly on slow acceleration. Just some food for thought. By the way, the Hooker system is the least raspy (OE configured) catback available, with LTs.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

I just ditched my ORY, Hooker catback, electric cutout setup this past weekend for true duals, x-pipe, and single chambers. This is THE best sounding exhaust for these cars, PERIOD.

Sound like a mustang? HA HA! **** on a mustang dude, this KILLS it, no ****! One of my best friends has a 00 GT with longtubes, pro-chamber, and flows, and he loves how mine sounds, there is no envy from me over ANY mustang with my new setup.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Which brand single chambers did you get? And how does it sound compared to the hooker? Like noise level and deepness and rasp and all that?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure I understand you. In your first post you say you like how it sounds but you don't like the rasp???? Aren't they one and same thing?

Personally I'm no fan of the Hooker and I guess maybe your not either. Really without spending money there is very little you can do. And then you'll probably still stand as much chance of not liking it anyhow.

Instead of throwing money at the exhuast I'd try chucking a nice cam in there. Something with some decent overlap. You gain some decent HP and totally later the car, but you'll also change how the exhaust sounds.

If it's still not to your liking then you'll have to consider a whole new exhaust from the headers back. Catted, catback or duals with x or h.

EDIT: Download this and see what you think. I still think this is one of the best sounding Lsx setups I've heard. http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/v...D_EXHAUST1.MOV

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/media.php