Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping from A4 to M6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping from A4 to M6?

Hey guys i was wondering if u cud help me? I have a 00' Trans-am A4, and wanted to switch to a manual 6 speed, like the one in the ws6. How difficult wud that be to happen? I bought the car for a good price because it was automatic, but want the manual now , if i take out the auto and sell it and buy a new manual transmission, how much would I end up spending with labor and selling and buying a transmission? Would it be worth it?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/200477-m6-a4-a4-m6-conversion-info.html
and this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/200480-m6-a4-a4-m6-conversion-info-requested.html
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you put a stall/shift kit in the auto yet? You might want to ride in one first, you might just change your mind. The T56 is a parts wrecker. Driveshaft/rear end/clutch etc.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so basically whats the big difference between a stall converter and a manual transmission car? I know in a manual u can pick ur shift points, but i heard stall converters were good, but whats so good about them?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

they can let you launch froma really high rpm, and they will kick the pure mortal **** uot of a stick car from stops and rolls all around. they elt the tranny slip a lot which makes the car gos traight to its pwoerband if you have it matched correctly. a shift kit makes it shift gears quicker, alot faster than what a person could do in msot cases.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

a built a4 is hard to beat, it hits perfect shifts....a stock a4 however isnt really built to race.....i just dropped mine this week, should have it done by next week.... trans go kit, performance servos, 3000 stall, beast shell, several other things ....check those links that were left, or check the stickies in the A4 forum
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Tainted
they can let you launch froma really high rpm, and they will kick the pure mortal **** uot of a stick car from stops and rolls all around. they elt the tranny slip a lot which makes the car gos traight to its pwoerband if you have it matched correctly. a shift kit makes it shift gears quicker, alot faster than what a person could do in msot cases.
While the autos are generally more speedy from a stop, you must be racing some no driving clowns from a roll. If you can shift like a son-of-a-bitch and don't mind jamming it down a few gears, a 6-speed car should have a clear advantage from a roll if equally matched (weight, mods, etc)

The stall'd autos tend to be *quicker* at the track due to the 6-speed cars falling out of the powerband soon after launch. I can roll my car out this hard on nittos (6-speed), but it only netted a 1.83 60'.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/IMG_8428.jpg

The auto cars don't "fall out of the powerband". They generally ET better, yet run slower traps than the 6-speeds. The trap speed is going to determine the winner on the street 90% of the time.