Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing heads question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing heads question.

I am going to change my heads on my 98 corvette w and ls1. I was going to put ls6 heads on it but I have been told by a couple of people to put 5.3l truck heads on it and I will make more power. Others have told me to get 6.0l truck heads and have them bored. I'm just totally confused and it has turned my simple build into a guessing game. Does anyone have any ideas on my situation? Pros and cons? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't go with 6 liter heads unless you want to lower your compression for a boosted application. The idea behind 5.3 heads is to raise your compression ratio, but they will need bigger valves and port work done to bring the flow numbers up to par. You should look into ls6 style ported heads from some of the sponsors (patriot, TSP etc.), you can usually pick up a good set for under $1k. Also do some searching in the internal section, you'll find lots of useful information there.