Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need a heavy duty starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do i need a heavy duty starter?

Since I got the cam in my car my starter immediately went out within days. It literally ripped the bolts off the block and i had to get it re-welded but I think that may have had to do with a hardcore bottom out i had one day. i got a new starter from pep boys and had that put on. started up like a charm but my car idles terrible and sometimes i have to restart the car a few times to get it going. i think thats just putting more wear on my starter. it won't start up normal sometimes as i have to give it gas to help it out. is it going out already? is there some bad *** starter out there i can get to handle the load of the engine with no probs?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds more like an untuned cam thing to me. It's compression that'll kill starters, not camshafts. If the car has been tuned, get it tuned again that's the problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Regular

i agree with heapashifter, although i had my starter blow the entire nose/bendix gear apart after my cam, but it was jus coincidence. i recommend a high tq mini type starter, i got one cheaper that a stock replacement.....just a thought.