Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, this is stupid but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, this is stupid but...

My wife has an 04 Vette, and I went to change the spark plugs on it. Well, needless to say I can't for the life of me get the plug wires off the plugs to change them. It's like they are one with the plug. LOL

I called up a dealership in case things were different than on my 01 LS1, and they said it's a pain in the *** to change the plugs, and they have some special tool to "break the seal." I'm thinking, WTF? Why can't I just pull the damn things off?

Any ideas as to this "special tool" they are referring to? The wires have that damn heat shield thing on them too, which those are going in the trash as soon as I get them off the car. I feel like a fool for posting this up, but I've tried twisting, pulling, yanking, and for the life of me I can't get the wires off the plugs. Hell I even tried using pliers for added leverage/grip.

The heat shields on the plug wires DO make a click noise when I pull them away from the motor...like they are locking in place or something. I never noticed that on my 01 Z28...

anyways, if it's as simple as "pull harder" then I'm not sure these are coming off.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't going to reuse the wires, then try grabbing the boot first and twisting it. Then just yank the **** out of them
Old 11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont bother reusing the wires anyhow. Once the stock wires come off, they usually cause misfires once reinstalled. Check out the MSDs for an affordable set.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
If you aren't going to reuse the wires, then try grabbing the boot first and twisting it. Then just yank the **** out of them
That's just it...I've tried that...

It's like they are cemented on and won't come off. The boots only twist half way, and that's it.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Dont bother reusing the wires anyhow. Once the stock wires come off, they usually cause misfires once reinstalled. Check out the MSDs for an affordable set.
This is interesting as I have never heard this before... do you have any more information on it? Mine are 103k mile stockers and came off for a header install and I'm trying to track down a slight hesitation under hard acceleration...

-J
Old 11-27-2006, 04:50 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, you should try out the LS2 wires to replace them.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

I'd love to try new wires...

but how the hell do I get the old ones off???? LOL
Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMMEH
I'd love to try new wires...

but how the hell do I get the old ones off???? LOL
No kidding. At least you don't have to deal with the cowling like on the F-bodies.

is this the same Tim that works Sott Jameson?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

yeah, Scott's next door to my office.

I wanna take a damn crowbar to the plugwires...
Old 11-27-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend took his t-stat out of his LT1 by attaching a string to it and running across his lawn... Just a thought. I just twisted the damn things and pulled like hell. If you had the cowl you might have already taken a crowbar to it, don't feel bad.

-J
Old 11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

The "special tool" they are reffering to, is most likely a set of plug boot pliers:

while I have used them in the past, I personally dont own a pair and usually just pull the boots off with a pair of vice grips. If you don't plan on reusing the wires just pull harder.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mikerace15
The "special tool" they are reffering to, is most likely a set of plug boot pliers:

while I have used them in the past, I personally dont own a pair and usually just pull the boots off with a pair of vice grips. If you don't plan on reusing the wires just pull harder.
EXCELLENT ADVICE HERE.....