Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing headers while heads are off

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing headers while heads are off

This may be a far stupider question than I realize, but is it possible to install headers from the top of the car if the heads are removed? If so, is it easier than installing them the traditional way, from underneath the car?

I'm just curious since I'm planning to do a head swap at the same time I install new headers.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it could be done but, not sure how or if theres any way to tighten/tourque the lower head bolts with the headers sitting there. if you arent getting monstrous headers like i decided to... then you should be fine coming from underneath, i had to cut both sides of my k member - the drivers side to get the headers to go in+jack the engine up with the mounting bolts out(now that there in they seem to have pretty good clearance from everything).. the passenger side because it's now touching the k member after i got the header bolts tightened(still hafto cut passenger side k member)
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

it would just be a matter of getting that collector through there plus all of the set bends in the primaries.... im sure with the heads off there will be a lot more room, still the fender and block clearance isn't all that much... couldn't hurt to try i suppose
Old 12-30-2006, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Having just put my heads and cam in this week, i can say from experience put them in after you are all done. I tried to leave them in place and work around them but it was a pain in the ***. I just took them out and reinstalled from the bottom once I got the heads torqued. Getting to the lower head bolts to torque them was too much trouble. It can be done, but you will waste so much time fighting the headers it is not worth it.