Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf idea need your imput needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default maf idea need your imput needed

well i was looking at the slp 85mm maf kit with the harness an what not. well i was also looking at my friends 03 zo6 maf sensor and it looks the same. well a while back i put a aftermarket maf sensor on a friends truck he gave me his and it seems alot bigger then my stock unit it has the 5 pin connector on it. so i was thinking make a converson harness like slp did and put the truck maf sensor on my car. now would that really mess up my maf tables and what not? or would it run like the slp does with the stock tune?

your imput would be greatly appreciated thank you
Old 01-26-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Aftermarket maf's suck and are a waste. The only reason to get one is if the stock sized MAF is the choking point of your intake tract. All the aftermarket ones do untuned is trick the PCM into changing the fueling.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

no the maf im changing to is a factory one of a 5.3 truck
Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
no the maf im changing to is a factory one of a 5.3 truck
Oh my bad Im not sure on the wire conversion thing.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5.3 truck MAF is a great mod, if you have tuning software to adjust the MAF tables with, and you got it for free (at your power levels). You won't see any HP out of it until you're making closer to 500rwhp though, as the stocker doesn't pose a restriction.

The SLP unit is a factory 85mm GM unit (truck MAF's, corvette MAF's etc), but has a resistor soldered in to change the output to match that of the stock MAF. Lots of tuners won't tune a car with one of those installed, and they are a WASTE of money.

If you're at the power level where you need an 85mm MAF, you're going to need tuning for other stuff. Might as well buy a cheap OEM GM one and have the MAF tables changed. If people would understand this, SLP wouldn't sell any.

You can read all about this in the PCM section.

My advice: Keep your stocker, it's not costing you ANY horsepower.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

oh there is a resistor in the harness? i didnt know that. well the truck maf is free and so are the connectors for the harness. how would i go about finding the resistor size? and i hope to have heads and cam soon and my goal is 450hp/tq. and i have efilive so cant i just put the 5.3 tables on it?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my slp maf to replace my factory one that was setting my ses light on all the time. so i didn't mind buying the slp