Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a NW 90 TB better than a FAST 90 TB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a NW 90 TB better than a FAST 90 TB?

I just got a FAST 90 TB and am going to have the FAST intake ported to it and the heads. Before I do so though, I want to know - is the NW really better than the FAST 90? How so? What kind of extra horsepower is left on the table in staying with the FAST 90?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thers prolly like a .2hp difference b/t the two
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

NW's isn't preferred cause it makes more power it is preferred cause it is made and functions better. The fast had problems in the past with the blade sticking but not sure if they still do.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
NW's isn't preferred cause it makes more power it is preferred cause it is made and functions better. The fast had problems in the past with the blade sticking but not sure if they still do.

The NW has always worked great, and continues to. Why take the chance on the FAST? It's a bit cheaper too IIRC.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually i just found out i have a PTM throttle body - is that any worse?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by nomorews6
It's exactly the same as the NW, but with some bevels on the edges lol.

Never heard of a single problem with either (NW or PTM), but Nick regularly posts on this board, and in this section. Can't beat that. His handle is "Nick Williams".
Old 02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

The PTM throttle body is a ripoff of the Nick Williams original, so if you don't have a problem with running a TB made using a stolen design, then it should function fine.

Personally, I'd dig a hole and bury the knockoff... and then go buy a Nick Williams authentic unit.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

I just got a FAST 90 TB and am going to have the FAST intake ported to it and the heads. Before I do so though, I want to know - is the NW really better than the FAST 90? How so? What kind of extra horsepower is left on the table in staying with the FAST 90?
its not a matter of better or not really.. as said above people have got close to the same numbres if not the same.

the question is quality.. some early FAST TB's stuck... BAD. they probably fixed that by now
Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
The PTM throttle body is a ripoff of the Nick Williams original, so if you don't have a problem with running a TB made using a stolen design, then it should function fine.

Personally, I'd dig a hole and bury the knockoff... and then go buy a Nick Williams authentic unit.

Can you prove that statement?Or is that just your opinion?Where do you think Nick got his idea?The NW amazingly looks real close to a FAST without the issues.

The PTM throttlebody is a great performing product that looks similar to the other designs out there.It will perform great for you,no worries.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I will say this. I have a FAST 90mm TB bolted up to their 90mm intake so this comes from the been there done that school.

1. The blade sticks. BAD!!!!! I had to rig up a spring from it to the plate for my FIPK. This worked better than I thought it would but getting the spring to just the right tension so the blade would open all the way took a lot of time.

2. One of the holes for the IAC was not drilled all the way or even tapped. I had to do it my self.

3. When I called them about the problems their customer service was some of the worst I have ever recived. I was questioned like I had built the TB wrong and incomplete. I was told that I would have to send the unit in, pay the shipping charges to and back, and it would take about 4 weeks. When I told them that it was my only car and to just send me a new one when they got mine I got a flat NO. They had to make sure that I did not mess it up. MESS IT UP!!!!! It's a TB. 3 bolts, 2 sensors and a cable.

4. When I told them that I had bought it about 6 months before, I'm in the Army and was deployed when I bought it, it was like talking to someone that I had just robbed.

I would have returned it but... see #4.

BTW I called them about the problems before the TB even saw my car.

Overall. The intake is great but stay away from their TB. IT SUCKS almost as much as their customer service.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been considering the UMI TB. Anynpdy had any experience with it? I've haven't seen very much about it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question for all you that have the Fast 90mm intakes, I have been considering the Fast 90 and a Nick Williams throttle body and can you all tell a difference in the intakes over the LS6 and aftermarket throttlebodys? I am talking track and on the street because I was going to buy the intake and send it to Tony and get it ported. Thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

The fast 90 has proven results over the ls6. its like 8hp more i think..

the point here is the FAST is the s***. and its up to you for the throttle bodies. Nick williams TB looks freakin' sweet. I'm running Nick's TB and FAST 90

click my website link in my sig. go to Shows/events..might have to wait for that one to load... heheheheh. and go to Project car

my site is still getting redone... and school is slowing me down
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody tried the new holley 90mm? I have heard people having alot of problems with the fast 90mm, but I've had one on my car since they first came out and love it. I have never had a problem out of it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000PewterZ28
Can you prove that statement?Or is that just your opinion?Where do you think Nick got his idea?The NW amazingly looks real close to a FAST without the issues.

The PTM throttlebody is a great performing product that looks similar to the other designs out there.It will perform great for you,no worries.

If that makes you sleep better at night, fine.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So is the Fast Intake worth the money from the Performance Side then?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Selki
2. One of the holes for the IAC was not drilled all the way or even tapped. I had to do it my self.
No ****? I have a fast 90/90 setup that I bought used. One of my IAC screws doesn't thread in, I just figured it got stripped by a prior owner. Maybe reality is I have the same issue as you. Do you happen to remember the size tap you used?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Evans752
So is the Fast Intake worth the money from the Performance Side then?
yes. performance. but it is pricey. but its the best
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

the FAST 90 tb is a major piece of ****. don't even consider it. NW, U.M.I., or Holley is the only ways to go
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Nick Wlliams throttle body here.I did not even consider the fast because of the issue's that I had heard. I have not had one problem with the NW 90mm except that it work's great!!!!!!!!