Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Cats Make a Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Magnaflow Cats Make a Ticking Noise

Ever since I got my headers/cats done there has been a faint ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the cats. A few months ago I did H/C and it got a lot louder. I assume this is because the exhaust got louder. The best way to describe the sound it is a ticking (kinda like piston slap but definitely coming from the cats) It gets louder when the car is hot and the speed of it increases with the RPMs. Do some cats just sound like that, or is this indicating a problem?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's probably just the mysterious LS1 tick. I've been fighting mine for years. I was convinced it was coming from the lifters, replaced them, still there. I was convinced it was coming from the plugs/wires, so I replaced them (about 5 times), still there. I was CONVINCED that it was coming from the exhaust, so I replaced everything from the flange gaskets to the tips, and it's still there.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably your header to Y connection. Mine did the same, unitll I installed lapped joint connectors. Resolved. ;-)
Old 02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Feel around for exhaust leaks at the connections.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That's probably just the mysterious LS1 tick. I've been fighting mine for years. I was convinced it was coming from the lifters, replaced them, still there. I was convinced it was coming from the plugs/wires, so I replaced them (about 5 times), still there. I was CONVINCED that it was coming from the exhaust, so I replaced everything from the flange gaskets to the tips, and it's still there.
Yeah I was sure it was either the cats or the clutch and I just got a new clutch so... I hope Im not heading down the same path as you.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "pop" from headers becomes a tick or tap in the cats and is different from car to car. Just make sure you don't have leak and you'll be fine.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Feel around for exhaust leaks at the connections.
my guess
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

I took the car to the local muffler shop and for $15 the guy spent about 30 mins fixing all the exhaust leaks. He said there was about 5 of them in the Y pipe connections to the cats and headers. The ticking noise decreased about 50% I can still hear it a little but its tolerable. I think the remaining noise might be coming from the headers not being sealed to the manifold.

The funny thing is that after he patched it up, the car idled a lot smoother. When I used to let the clutch out and coast the RPMs would sit at about 1050, now they sit at about 900. Im thinking maybe that had something to do with the O2 Sensors??

eh, whatever it was im happy now