Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Exhaust Question

Hey Guys and Gals,
I juts picked up a '99 SS that is for the most part unmolested
i'm picking up my SLP lid today. I want to do something with the exhaust. I was thinking of ditching the muffler and leaving the cats in place but i don't want to do anything that is going to hurt the performance of the car (i.e. i don't want to lose Hp and Tq) just wondering if any of you guys have run a Catted Straight pipe set up and how it does.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by WHT99SS
Hey Guys and Gals,
I juts picked up a '99 SS that is for the most part unmolested
i'm picking up my SLP lid today. I want to do something with the exhaust. I was thinking of ditching the muffler and leaving the cats in place but i don't want to do anything that is going to hurt the performance of the car (i.e. i don't want to lose Hp and Tq) just wondering if any of you guys have run a Catted Straight pipe set up and how it does.

Thanks,
Chris

That's how mine was when i got her mufflerless with a custom exh.
She will sound damn good that's fo' sho'. The only drawback you might have when she's cold is a slight backfire now and then at WOT. No biggie.
Have a SLP shotgun resonator now she doesn BF anymore. Ditch the f'n muffler.

Last edited by Kage; 04-06-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I've run setups like that a couple of times. Sounded pretty decent with the cats still on there. You can always get a cutout and put it in the I-pipe and basically accomplish the same thing, plus be able to put the cap back on and make the car quiet again if needed.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks Man that's what i was looking before i paided the exhaust shop to fab all this stuff up.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people on here think that these cars sound better with cats. Removes some of the rasp/machine-gun-in-a-trash-can sound. High-flow cats seem to cause neglagible power loss, from what I see. Less gas fumes in car too. Patrick G's car has cats. He's making, like ~450 rwhp at peak, right? Maybe even 475, I forget.

If I had it to do over again, I would have left the emissions crap on when doing headers, but got high-flow cats.

Also, if you put an electric cut out in the I-pipe, you'll not have to worry about the muffler. Then, you can have the performance and sound at the flip of a switch.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Here's what it looks like without the junk.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Sharpe
A lot of people on here think that these cars sound better with cats. Removes some of the rasp/machine-gun-in-a-trash-can sound. High-flow cats seem to cause neglagible power loss, from what I see. Less gas fumes in car too. Patrick G's car has cats. He's making, like ~450 rwhp at peak, right? Maybe even 475, I forget.

If I had it to do over again, I would have left the emissions crap on when doing headers, but got high-flow cats.

Also, if you put an electric cut out in the I-pipe, you'll not have to worry about the muffler. Then, you can have the performance and sound at the flip of a switch.
I still have mine on. FTW!!!