Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble with the header bolt...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble with the header bolt...

Well I used the gasket my pacesetters came with and within about 2-3 weeks I blew out the back part of the gasket.. I took the header off to replace it and when putting the bolt closest to the fire wall (pass side) It would thread in but it was really hard to tighten it..
All the other bolts went in no problem and easy going but this bolt was getting too hard to turn and was concerning me. I don't want to be pulling threads out on the head or any thing :\ . I tried using another bolt and jacking the header up (and putting it down) a little to see if it was that but it is still hard to turn..
It's sticking about half way out right now. I can't hear a leak ATM but I'd like to get it fully threaded. I drove around for a few to see if heating it up would help but haven't got to it yet.. You guys have any tips here?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

On the passenger side of my 02 Z I had a bolt stickin half way out in the middle. I drove around on it for a week and it had no problems at all. But I finally got it out (it was stuck just like yours) and I went to AZ got a tap set and lightly retaped the thread. What kinda bolts did you use? I used my factory bolts and they all went back in except that one. After I retaped the thread I used a ARP bolt cause they are a little smaller now everythings cool. Just take your time it will come out.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use anti-seize on the bolt? It really helps a lot. Also I would recommend going back to the stock gasket, they seal so much better and are definitely reusable.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I used the bolts that came with the pacesetters. I am having a problem gettin the bolt back in. It came out easy but its not wanting to go in. Yeah I didn't really like the gasket that came with those headers. I have felpro one's now. At least they have a metal center to them.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Run a tap through it. The threads are prob messed up