Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Road headers....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Off Road headers....

what needs to be done when someone purchases off road headers? does the air tube just stay there? i imagine u need a block off plate, does someone sell it? what about the o2 sensors? sorry if it sounds dumb, but before i just bought the regular ones, but if i dont need the air tube and o2, i would like to get rid of them for a cleaner look.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you buy OFF ROAD headers they do NOT come with AIR or EGR fittings so you'll have to delete both then you will need a plug if you have a ls1 intake manifold(98-00)
Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the o2 sensor needs to be used tho
Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get the non emissions headers (off-road) and the ORY pipe and get rid of the rear 02's but you'll need a 12 and 24 inch extension for the front 02's
Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so then the only thing i would be clearing is that air tube? i wanted to get rid of those 02's. i guess its not worth it then.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

??? I can not figure some people out. You can get rid of one set of o2 sensors, the rears, as far as the air pump, try changing your spark plugs or wires with those stupid tubes in there it sucks. Also if you have on offroad Y meaning you have no cats, then you do not need the air system, becuase it only primes the cats. Is it worth it, well at is atleast 10bls out of the car if not more between egr and air, 2002 is egrless, try looking at air pump removal and you will see all of the crap the comes out. It is worth it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually your in CA, so your pretty much f^&*ed for doing anything, better check the local inspection and smog codes.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
??? I can not figure some people out. You can get rid of one set of o2 sensors, the rears, as far as the air pump, try changing your spark plugs or wires with those stupid tubes in there it sucks. Also if you have on offroad Y meaning you have no cats, then you do not need the air system, becuase it only primes the cats. Is it worth it, well at is atleast 10bls out of the car if not more between egr and air, 2002 is egrless, try looking at air pump removal and you will see all of the crap the comes out. It is worth it.

good point....i just have no clue at all what i can/cant do with those headers. you see, you say i can get rid of the air pump, but what do i need to do after i take it out? do i need some plates or something? or i just need to get it deleted with a programmer? im trying to figure out if im gonna have to take it to a shop for this, cause i know the other headers i can do at home like my other car.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have offroad headers now, then you need to do nothing but pull the air pump out of the car, or at least remove the fuse for it. If you have normal headers, then you need block off plates. Again air pump is an emissions thing, I was under the impression in CA you can not remove anything, but if you have a way around that start pulling.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

if the ehaders dont have a spot for EGR and AIR then you dont need anything at all. the EGRT came on 98-00 cars, so if you still have the ls1 intake manifold you need the egr plug, otherwise you only need 02 extensions. you being in cali ***** it all up, you prolly wont get away with longtubes and ORY
Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nah...here in cali i think that emissions thing is by counties. i know in SD the guys have to keep passing smog, but not here. only when the vehicle registration changes owners do u have to worry about passing smog. my car is 02 so i dont have to worry about EGR. thanks for your help. all i need is the extensions for the front o2's then.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you need help with any other little things feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help ya. theres not much I cant tell you
Old 06-10-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one last thing.....the tube coming out of the air lid from the driver side, is that part of the AIR system too? i rather have a clean looking lid.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kbronSS
one last thing.....the tube coming out of the air lid from the driver side, is that part of the AIR system too? i rather have a clean looking lid.

yes, you can get rid of that when you have the non-emissions headers