Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone check my catch can arrangement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can someone check my catch can arrangement?

Hey everyone. I feel bad posting this because there are so many threads out there for PCV catch cans. I did a bunch of searching, and a bunch of looking, and I just want to make sure what I did last night will work.

My basic issue is the previous owner swapped the 99 stuff over to LS6 style PCV. I was still getting oil in the intake, so I decided to install a simple catch.

If you can just check the order I have things hooked up, as well as the way I have things oriented (i.e. the catch can flow and the PCV direction) I woudl greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!!

Justin
Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks about right to me. However I have the PCV valve after the catch can, but then inside the PCV valve its hollow so had no real effect anyway, well mine was hollow, perhaps I was sold a duff.

Perhaps the PCV valuce isn't needed anymore now that there is a catch can, perhaps someone could chime in on this.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the LS6 valley cover, but that's how mine is setup. PCV to catch can to manifold. I've caught plenty of oil with it setup this way. You should be good to go.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool thanks guys. I guess my main concern was getting the PCV in the right direction so that it works. I put on a few miles and can see a teeny tiny bit of film starting in th catch can. So I guess its workin...

Justin
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

yeap thats correct!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The side of the PCV valve that you can blow into goes towards the intake right?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
The side of the PCV valve that you can blow into goes towards the intake right?
The intake sucks air, creating a vaccum in the valve covers.
It would be the side you can suck go towards the intake.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put my PCV after the catch can.. as the Catch Can can do a better job of removing the oil and has a large capaticity to do the job. Then let the PCV handle what little get through the CATCH CAN.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bczee
I put my PCV after the catch can.. as the Catch Can can do a better job of removing the oil and has a large capaticity to do the job. Then let the PCV handle what little get through the CATCH CAN.
how much do you catch? what about when you get more fluid in there it doesn't burp the PCV?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
That's what I did. I figured that the mesh filter in the can would separate out most of the oil so that mostly lighter fumes would be pulled through the PCV.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm...so would it be better to put the PCV at the intake end? Kind of reverse my set up??

Im already catching some oil. Its just a tiny bit in the bottom. I still seem to be getting a tiny bit of oil through too though. So maybe Ill try to swap it around some.

Justin
Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at mine. It's the same as yours. I would leave the pcv valve before the catch can. It's there to pick up the excess.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a quick pic for you guys. Im going to leave it as it is for now. Its catching some oil. I did noticed that there is a tiny bit getting through tho. I might replace the PCV valve for the heck of it. If it still does it, Ill drop the coin for a good catch can. That little bit of oil in it is after about 200 miles. A lot of WOT runs and even more cruising.

J.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getto.. that seem a bit excessive for 200 miles..

I think I have drained out about a full oz or less since I put it on back in Jan... that is about 2-3k in driving. But this would all be subjective to how much your engine has blow-by anyway.

IMO.. if you see that much oil in the catch can with the pcv after the can. And thinking that if it was switch around with the PCV before the can, where do you think the PCV would be putting all of that oil if it was 1st inline?

That is why I put the PCV after the can, better capicity in the catch can.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That might look like there is more oil in it than there really is. The new husky filters have a valve on the bottom of them. So you turn the valve to drain, turn it the other way to close it back up.

It causes there to be a big black plastic bung in the bottom of the bowl. The oil is really just around that. I couldnt even guess how much because its so little. Less than a beer cap ful. Haha. thats as close a guess as I can make.

There isnt even enough ni there to shake around. Im going to let it go for altitle longer then try to drain it and see how much is in there. Then Im going to run it some more, and after a certain number of miles, drain it again. Next Im going to swap positions of the pcv and catch can. Then drive it the same amount of miles. See if it makes a difference.

J.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

bczee here is a better close up pic of the amount of oil. Its probably more than 200 miles worth of oil. Actually closer to 400 miles. Like I said, its barely enough to coat the bottom of a soda or beer cap.

J.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I will get about a half of a shot glass inbetween oil changes and now my car isn't kicking out as much white smoke at WOT. My A/F has also gotten better and more consistent after the install.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

I cant belive you did all that work swapping and LS1 into a 3rd gen then you use a plastic pos husky air filter from home depot for a catch can .

I hope your not using a synthetic oil ,, hehe

Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Looks about right to me. However I have the PCV valve after the catch can, but then inside the PCV valve its hollow so had no real effect anyway, well mine was hollow, perhaps I was sold a duff.

Perhaps the PCV valuce isn't needed anymore now that there is a catch can, perhaps someone could chime in on this.
the hollow pcv is the newer version that was used in corvettes and trucks to help stop the oil from going in, its empty inside but it has a real tiny hole so oil has a harder time getting through. It helped keep oil out of my engine, but didn't solve the problem completely, now with the catchcan and hollow valve it does stop it all. I like that valve since you will never have to replace it.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by =ZoomZ=
I cant belive you did all that work swapping and LS1 into a 3rd gen then you use a plastic pos husky air filter from home depot for a catch can .

I hope your not using a synthetic oil ,, hehe

Haha...easy there killer. I used that pos filter because it was cheap. I plan on getting a nicer one. One from Mike Norris or similar. However, I have other things to get before I spend that kind of cash on a catch can. It can wait. Been driving for 2000 miles without anything, so atleast this is doing something. haha...

As for my PCV valve...I think I just have a regular valve. The kind that rattles. I thought they were all like that. Im guessing there is another that maybe I should try out?? Is it otherwise the same as far as dimensions go?

I was also toying with ditching the whole PCV system. There are just too many back and forth "pros vs. cons" threads about that that Im undecided. We'll see what happens...

J.

Quick Reply: Can someone check my catch can arrangement?