Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF porting? i need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF porting? i need advice

ok i know that this topic has been talked about dozens of times. but i cant find the answer to my question. i ported the factorty MAF ( just cut out the end pieces). i did this without checking here first. but sence i have noticed alot of people talking about how it is a BAD idea and can cause lots of problems without a tune. well there arnt any tuners around my area and money is real real tight right now. after i did the porting the car actually seemed to run ALOT better. i have put about 5k on the car sence with NO problems at ALL the car runs AWSOME. gets 24+ MPG, no engine lights, and runs low 12s all day long. is the MAF porting only a problem on some cars or do i have a problem that just isnt showing it self yet?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

More air is coming in the engine without the MAF knowing, because it doesn't know it has been ported. This makes the car run lean., which leads to more power.

This means your engine will explode in 173,000 miles and not 175,000. Don't worry about it, and be happy with your free mod.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

thats cool! i am sure i am wrong but cant the computer adjust the A/F ratio enough to keep the car running safe? and if it were running lean wouldnt it throw a engine light?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it runs too lean, yes it will throw a light.

With a stock or near stock setup the ported ends are not as evil as most would have you think. Once you start messing with aftermarket tuning is where you start having problems with ported ends.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the thing....whats the size of the actual maf compared to the maf ends now....its still the same, i dont understand why people port things or get this tb or that...when overall there is still a part in the intake system that hasnt changed...regardless if your port everything...accept for one thing, that one thing will determine how much air will go in...its the dynamic...

for example you can port a tb or throw a bigger one onto a stock ls1 manifold but since you didnt do anything to the manifold, THAT is how much air your going to get in....?understand me?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
If it runs too lean, yes it will throw a light.

With a stock or near stock setup the ported ends are not as evil as most would have you think. Once you start messing with aftermarket tuning is where you start having problems with ported ends.
AWSOME! thanks nice to know i didnt screw my motor!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by staringback05
heres the thing....whats the size of the actual maf compared to the maf ends now....its still the same, i dont understand why people port things or get this tb or that...when overall there is still a part in the intake system that hasnt changed...regardless if your port everything...accept for one thing, that one thing will determine how much air will go in...its the dynamic...

for example you can port a tb or throw a bigger one onto a stock ls1 manifold but since you didnt do anything to the manifold, THAT is how much air your going to get in....?understand me?
ya that dose sound right but inthe case of the MAF porting i cut the center brace out of the MAF. while i didnt change the actual dementions of the MAF i did open up the inside for more air to flow through the sensor. i guess what your saying would be right if the TB and LS6 intake cant handle any more air in there stock form. is this the caswe? i have always herd that the MAF by far the most restictive in the whole air intake set up on a LS1. if this is right then by me opening up the MAF i have let more usable air in to the motor.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

i believe it's the absense of the screen that makes the difference in power - not being ported. removing the screen slows down air velocity going past the sensor in the maf that adds a degree or two of timing plus dumping more fuel IIRC.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imslow
i believe it's the absense of the screen that makes the difference in power - not being ported. removing the screen slows down air velocity going past the sensor in the maf that adds a degree or two of timing plus dumping more fuel IIRC.
why go with a bigger throttle body or intake
if removing an obstruction is not worth it?
i notice a difference from stock to ported.
ported runs a bit lean with out tuning but there is a difference.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I understand what you're saying, and my question isnt meant to argue with you, just asking a question here:

Are we really maxing out the air that goes into an LS1 manifold??? Or can it handle more air??

The volume of the stock LS1 manifold should allow for a little more flow if you port a tb/maf/etc, no? Otherwise there'd be no need for a lid or FTRA either without doing the LS6 manifold at the same time, yes??
I agree that when the time comes, you'll see more gains from a p/p TB or ported MAF with the addition of the LS6 intake. But would you go so far as to say that any intake mods on 98-00 LS1s are null until you swap out the stock LS1 manifold? I think thats pushing it.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

the lid is more for volume, look at the baffles and the depth....your not reaching the highest amount of air going in with that setup...

however after you do those mods, look at it this way....you take a water hose(your mod) and you hook it up to a straw(a stock peice) now....regardless of how much you flow through the hose...the straw is going to restrict it....

example people wanting to put 90mm tb on a ls1 manifold
Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Launching!

look at it this way....you take a water hose(your mod) and you hook it up to a straw(a stock peice) now....regardless of how much you flow through the hose...the straw is going to restrict it....
ya that makes perfect sence but on the ls1 isnt the MAF considered the straw when comared to the rest of the intake system? so porting the MAF would get rid of that straw and make somthing else the weak link (straw) but all and all still flowing better through a bigger straw?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Launching!

how much leaner will the ported MAF make the car run? if it is still safe and makes more power why dosnt everyone do it??
Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

regardless if the maf is ported or not its still going to be skinnier then some of the other components, also people dont like porting them because it makes the car a bitch to tune