Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thermostat Question

It seems my engine coolent is getting hotter than normal after back to back runs down the roads around my place. Before I never noticed it getting that hot and now it gets up around the 210 mark quick. I understand it will get warmer due to the rate of exceleration like this. So I took the thermostat out to check it and the plunger on the end is fully extended when it was cool. Should the plunger be fully extended or retracted when cool? if anyone can tell me or better yet have a picture I would appreciate it. When i'm driving around the temp goes right back down slower than before so it makes me think its stuck open. Coolent is flowing since the hoses are hot.

JR
Old 05-26-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Thermostat Question

Your stock fan temperature is like 210F, from
reading schematics it looks like this is engine
temp and no radiator temp sense exists. So, after
a hot run, if you stop pushing air the fans will
do squat until you hit this peg and the thermostat
is helpless between a hot motor and a hot tank.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent some time cruising the hills of PA,WV,VA,& NC last summer & I know the feeling. I've talked to a number of owners & it seems to be a common complaint. It will also happen in low speed stop & go traffic. Temp will stay in the safe zone if everything is working correctly (though power production & possibly fuel economy will drop since it is not at peak efficiency).What really concerns me is that as temp goes up oil pressure will drop slightly (at 215' Oil pressure read about 35 to 38 pounds instead of my usual 42 to 45 pounds at idle).
I have two ways to fix this:
(1) When this starts to happen swtch on your AC select switch, leave it on low & dial in the temp control to suit your comfort zone. This will cause the computer to kick on your fans & my temperature always stayed around the quarter mark. Its a quick, easy & a free work around.

(2)Go to slponline.com & purchase there Fan Control Switch Harness Assembly (normal price is 69.99 right now they have a Spring Special going & the price currently is 59.99). You can find it in the cooling section.
It takes a little time to do a nice job(make it look original) but its easy & works great. Harness connectors are all OEM & mine looks factory stock. The switch has 3 positions: (1)Low speed fan operation (2)Middle Position-Off/ Computer controls fans & (3) High speed fan operation.
SLP recommends installing on kick panel. I chose under the lighter beneath the radio. Looks nice & its always insight & in mind. The instructions are accurate but even with the Haynes Manual there are tricks to make it easier. If you go this route E-mail me & I'll tell you what we found to make it easier. Or if I happen to have a 3 day weekend I'll drive out with my tools & show you. No money or business involved (except Monkey Business).
Advise if you need details.
Howard
Old 05-27-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SLP fan swicth and use it but i'm just saying it seems to get hotter than it used to when doing the same thing i've done before. And can anyone give me an answer on how the stock thermostat is supposed to look as to what I described above.

JR