Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR removal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR removal help needed

so i'm literally in the middle of my lt/ory install today and all of a sudden rememberd i'd need to remove my AIR system . i go on here and search (great to have it back lol) and find this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/673299-air-removal-pics.html which is fairly helpful, until i get to the bottom and he says the 98 and 02's AIR systems are different (i have an 02). so i search a bit more and find this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/328977-exhaust-backfires-running-rich-poor-mileage-come-air-removal.html where a guy with an 02 says he took pictures of all the little details that the first guy forgot to include...except the pics aren't working. i tried my best and basically right now i've located and removed the AIR module from underneath the drivers side headlight as well as removed both AIR manifolds attached to either side of the stock headers. however, there are still the 2 tubes which i removed these AIR manifolds from going back towards the rear of the car that are attached somewhere (pulling wont get them out), plus there's the hose running along the drivers side under the hood that the AIR module itself was connected to (cant get that out either). finally, in the 2nd thread i linked (the one with the broken pics) people were talking about having to get some kind of cap for a "vac line" that is attached to a "diverter" i have no idea what/where these things are. they were probably layed out really nicely in the original posters pics but since they dont work lol. can anyone out there help me out?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the vacuum line, just stick it on one of the studs on the driver side coil pack. The rest, to be honest, should be self explanatory. At least it was when I did it to my previous and current car.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

which one is the vacuum line? if you're saying to attach it to one of the bolts of the coil packs it must be pretty narrow in diameter? right now i've got the entire air pump assembly out from under the front of the car and the 2 pipes that attached to the manifolds are off. however the hoses (about 1" diameter) from each of the 2 manifold attachment sites are still connected to some kind of unit in the back right infront of the firewall on the drivers side along with another hose of similar diameter that is running down along the drivers side of the engine compartment and used to connect to part of the air pump tubing. should i just yank all 3 of these tubes really really hard to get them off that main unit in the back, or will that break something? or can i somehow remove that entire unit? i dont see how it's connected right now but i assume it's bolted down somehow....if i cant actually see the bolts that must mean they're pretty hard to remove.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

There's a bolt back there holding it on. Its on the back of the driver side head. U cant see back there just feel for it. And take it off.Thats also about were that vacume line is. Its connected on the top of a sorta round plastic thing were the A.I.R hoses that come off the manifolds come together On the back of the driverside head. the vacume line is small maybe the size of a straw. and only a couple inches long. I just put a screw inside of the hose.

Its kinda hard to explain but when u see it you will know it.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

On mine, I think the bracket was bolted to the back of the driver's side of the intake manifold, not the head. Either way, just feel for a bracket (or look - you actually can see it if you look under the cowl). Once that's out, seal off the vacuum line (there's a junction between the two AIR tubes on the driver's side, and the vacuum line is attached to it), and the rest should pull out fairly easy. IIRC, there wasn't anything special holding in the AIR tube running down to the pump.