Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Bypass Temp Test.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Bypass Temp Test.....

I have been thinking about the TBB free mod for some time and decided to do a simple test to see if it has any effect on the temp of the throttle body itself and therefore the temp of the intake air. I used my SnapOn "Bluepoint" Auto meter which has a temp probe to take a measurement of the surface temp of the throttle body at operating temp. The surface temp reading on several points of the throttle body reached 200 degrees F. before the TBB free mod. I also had my diagnostic scan tool attached to the car while driving. The Intake Air Temp "IAT" was an average of 100 degrees F. and the Coolant temp was an average 215 Degrees F. The ambiant air temp was approx 90 degrees F. The TBB free mod was performed on the car that night. The next day at the same time of day I took the car out for the same drive doing the same speeds and the same weather conditions. The throttle body surface temp reached a max temp of 167 degrees F. the weather was a carbon copy of the day before. The result of the test is that the throttle body surface temp was approx 33 degrees F. cooler after the TBB free mod was performed. This temp diff. shows a definate reduction of "heat-soak" into the intake charge. I am now a beliver in this FREE mod.....The next test I will be doing is for the FRA mod looking for an IAT reduction after the mod......
Old 09-02-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

cool deal oatmeal!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info. I don't think the debate is whether or not the TB is actually cooler but whether or not that has much effect on the air going through the TB. If you go more in-depth and look at the heat transfer coefficient of the TB along with surface area and velocity of air going through then you'll see that the air is only slightly cooled by this mod. I'm not knocking it b/c I still did it since every 1 HP is worth it to me!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

good writeup man. it's nice to see people take these mods in a scientific direction and show concrete proof rather than just "i did it because everyone else told me to". keep up the good work.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Nice
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Good info. I don't think the debate is whether or not the TB is actually cooler but whether or not that has much effect on the air going through the TB. If you go more in-depth and look at the heat transfer coefficient of the TB along with surface area and velocity of air going through then you'll see that the air is only slightly cooled by this mod.
Exactly. It doesn't really matter what the TB surface temps are, only the effect that has on IAT. But since you can't get IAT's from behind the TB, you don't really know what effect it has unless you calculate it. But if IAT's go down 4-5* on average, for example, the effect would be nil.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

A 33 degree temp diff. is quit-a-bit. Heat energy moves fast. Maybe right before I switch to the LS6 Intake I will drill and tap the LS1 Intake and install an IAT senser after the throttle body. That would give true IAT after the TB. Just a thought.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would think that since the throttle body is attached to the rest of the intake, the IAT would be affected somewhat at the sensor. did you notice any drop in the IAT readings?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We discussed this all before in great detail...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/602458-heated-t-b-its-effect-intake-air-temp.html
Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

No diff in the IAT reading because it is obtained way before the throttle body on the intake lid. One way to lower that "in theory" would be the FRA mod. I will be doing a test on that soon....