Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Reving high

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Reving high

My camaro is reving high after a few minutes of driving, around 1100-1200rpms. This does not always happen but is becoming more frequent. Also after driving on the freeway the engine will hang at 1500 for a few seconds then drop to 1100-1200rpms. I got a can of carb cleaner and checked for a vacume leak. I also changed my fuel filter since I was told that could be the case. Nothing so far has helped. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks a bunch
Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Teching In

id be willing to bet you have a vac leak somewheres... but if your sure thats not the case then check you spark plugs and the plug wires for cuts.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks. So i checked to see if the plugs were tight and the wires look in good condition and are all the way on. I checked the injectors,MAF,TB,and Manifold. Is there anything that im missing on the vacume leak check. Thanks for all the help buddy
Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Teching In

I was told it could be the IAC or idle control motor? Has anybody had any issues with this? and have you fixed the issue
Old 09-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Launching!

I had a similar problem with my truck, and it eventually threw a TPS (throttle position sensor) code. A new sensor took care of it.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Is the throttle position sensor the same as the IAC. I took my throttle body off completely and cleanded all the carbon build up in it. I also took the what I think is the IAC (the golden round thing stickin out the side of the TB) off and cleaned it also. It didnt seem to dirty just a little chip of carbon build up.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

No, they are different sensors. TPS monitors how open the throttle blade is, from 0 to 100%, while IAC controls air coming into your engine to keep the car running at idle since the throttle blade is closed at that point. The IAC is basically a controlled vacuum leak, with a tube that bypasses the throttle blade letting air go into the intake manifold.

If you have jumps in rpm's when the car is in idle, then it might be that IAC sensor. If the rpm's jump up while the car is in gear, then it should be either a vacuum leak or TPS sensor. hope that helps.