Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Facts On Weiand Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Facts On Weiand Intake

Hey guys I would like to get some good hard facts on Weiand intakes. I can buy one for 200 bucks from a good friend of mine who just bought a fast 90/90. There is nothing wrong with it at all, and it looks brand new, it's only been used for 2000 miles are so. I have read on here and on other websites about it but I have not found the hard facts that I want. I know the thing weighs 25lbs compared to an ls6 at 10, but some people say they lost power with it. This one is ported and is the polished version. Does anyone have any dyno proof of gains or loses or even a dyno of the ls6 vs weiand. Any advice would help, any facts would be great. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have facts and on the internet anyone can make them up. but i have never heard of anyone making good power with one. they are also metal intakes so they will heat soak and raise the intake air temperatures
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't even bother unless you just like to polish it for BlinBling
Old 09-28-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say waste of money! ls6 any day over those intakes! if ya want 90 mm then fast and efi vic jr
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

I got mine for a few good reasons.

1: metal is stronger than plastic
2: Heatsoak doesn't hurt performance enough to matter. If you believe the air sits in the intake long enough to cause a noticeable power loss, your CRAZY. You might as well bitch about the aluminum heads heatsoaking too cause the air moves thru there at the same speed.
3: If at the track, you can ice it down between runs where you can't with plastic
4: It can be port/polished inside to outflow the LS6 intake & match your heads of choice
5: if you ever go DP nitrous it can easily be tapped for the nozzles & if the system is removed you can weld it up & smooth it back out like it was never there. Plus incase of a nitrous backfire you won't blow the intake into a million pieces.
6: If you ever plan on goin FI later down the road the extra strength of this intake is a nice plus

Basically its a some like some hate it type of deal. You'll never get a straight anwser cause there is too many variables that can vary or cause different results from user to user.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

So does the ls6 really outflow it? I know you will never see what the advertised power gains are but still I would assume its worth about 10rwhp which is what most people see with the ls6 isnt it? I think it would be a decent mod for a 98-00 car without the ls6 but if i already had the ls6 intake i would not bother. Who is your friend I might buy it

"What happens when you add this LS6-style intake manifold to your LS1? You get some serious horsepower gains--up to 12 HP over stock. And Weiand left plenty of room to make more power, too. This lightweight aluminum intake has a surprisingly beefy design, which gives you plenty of room for porting. Plus, the manifold can handle the high intake pressures of nitrous or blower systems. Other notable features include an idle to 6,200 rpm powerband and a removable underside panel for access to the runners."

Last edited by Black99CamaroSS; 09-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I got mine for a few good reasons.

1: metal is stronger than plastic
2: Heatsoak doesn't hurt performance enough to matter. If you believe the air sits in the intake long enough to cause a noticeable power loss, your CRAZY. You might as well bitch about the aluminum heads heatsoaking too cause the air moves thru there at the same speed.
3: If at the track, you can ice it down between runs where you can't with plastic
i believe the intake can make a difference on air intake temperatures. maybe you have heard a thing called intercoolers. as far as heads being aluminum. yes the heads do heat soak and if they ever make a plastic a head that doesnt heat soak who knows what will happen.

also i believe aluminum doesnt hold as much heat as steel. this is also why most heads now are made from aluminum and part of the reason why aluminum heads can run more compression without detonation problems vs steel. correct me if i am wrong on this please
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

the weiand just barley outflows the LS6....there is a thread here with all the intake maniflolds and thier flow numbers in a graph.....ill see if i can dig up the link

i agree that for a 98-00 car it would be a fine mod if you think you may go nitrous or FI in the future since this intake is only about $350 on ebay. But if you already have an LS6 it isn't worth it unless you want to dp nitrous or FI.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Could it be machined for 90mm+ TB? Doesn't look like a bad deal if you go FI
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do a search the it a intake hp chart that was tested and shows the ls6 makes more power then the alu intakes! Your not going to break a ls6 intake unless you do something dumb!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silver01z06
i dont have facts and on the internet anyone can make them up.
Exactly.

There is no dyno proof that I've ever seen, all the arguments are based on theory and opinion.

Get it if you want it, don't get it if you don't want it.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still want to see this intake manifold flow chart everyone is talking about.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

for 200 its a deal.....u aint gonna find a new let alone used ls6 for that price.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by silver01z06
i believe the intake can make a difference on air intake temperatures. maybe you have heard a thing called intercoolers. as far as heads being aluminum. yes the heads do heat soak and if they ever make a plastic a head that doesnt heat soak who knows what will happen.

also i believe aluminum doesnt hold as much heat as steel. this is also why most heads now are made from aluminum and part of the reason why aluminum heads can run more compression without detonation problems vs steel. correct me if i am wrong on this please
Yes there is a temp difference. Yes, metal will induce more heat into an air charge. This is what you have to consider:

A heat exchanger and your intake or heads ARE the same thing. The EFFICIENCY at which they operate is not. So. You are correct in respect with what is happening. You might or might not be overestimating the magnitude of change the airflow will experience.

I have been super interested in the same topic myself.

Just my 2 cents. I believe injection molded plastic has more possibilies for what shapes you can make. Unaware to cost comparisions. Know that AL can have alot more QC issues as any contaiminates makes AL brittle.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 09-28-2007 at 07:12 PM.
        Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
        TECH Apprentice

I think the reason for an intercooler on a FI setup would be the fact that a turbo or supercharger exponentially increases the speed and, thus, the pressure the intake air encounters. More pressure equals higher than normal temperatures, so it is therefore a good idea to throw an intercooler in there since it dissipates heat very rapidly without losing any of the gained air density.

So, I mean, that argument really only applies to forced induction cars.
        Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 PM
        TECH Fanatic

Read this thread...
        https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=metal+intake
        Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
        Staging Lane

Thank you guys for all the advice and facts, i was unable to write back due to the fact i was at a funeral over the past weekend. I will keep you updated on what I choose to do.
        Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
        TECH Regular

I have the Weiand intake on my car and love it. Just look at my sig.
        Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 AM
        12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
        I have the Weiand intake on my car and love it. Just look at my sig.
        Those are some decent numbers with that small of a cam, stall & no heads.
        Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 PM
        TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
        Those are some decent numbers with that small of a cam, stall & no heads.
        They sure are!