Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best "Ram Air" Set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the best "Ram Air" Set up?

Fast Toys, SLP, Super Sucker, etc... Everyone's got one!

Which one is best, and why?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 06-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Default Re: What's the best "Ram Air" Set up?

Super Sucker but since it's plastic, watch those curbs.
I like mine.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What's the best

I'm very happy with my Fast Toys style Whisper Ram-Air.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.vetteguru.com/ramair/
Old 06-07-2003, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you read that and beleive that ram air does not exist then it is just a matter of which one gets the cool, fresh air into the engine better, is cheaper, or "looks better." They all do a good job of getting cooler, fresher air since the intake is located under the car in the stream of air that goes to the radiator/AC. The super sucker might get a little more/cooler air but any of the three should work just fine. I have the SLP CAI, it does help a little, especially the upper RPM, plus they are not at all expensive really. Just pick one, maybe the cheapest one, and you should be happy.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

This was some funny reading
- I won't try to convince you of my credentials, but if you are really interested in what's happening, try to think about it some more. Ram-air is not there to create static pressure and I never heard anyone claim that except in your article - an easier way to realise that and more precise, compared to your paper, is to simply say that air molecules move with the average speed of 700+ m/s, while typical vehicle speed of about 35m/s will produce (pressure is proportional to velocity squared) only 1/400 of 1bar or 0.03675psi..
..now if you remember how engine works, you'll realise that engine is actually sucking air. At normal vehicle speeds the purpose of ramair is simply to make it easier for the engine to do that. Say, you have MAF - greater air speed at it's entrance effectively improves CFM rating of MAF... more air can go through it, since speed is greater ...if speed holds up to intake - its CFM rating is also increased and so on. Effectively you have less restricted intake path. That's it.

Hope that will help you make more educated decisions about ram-air intakes.
as for the original q. - I never tried supersuckers, so may be it provides slightly better performance. However my FTRA is the next best thing and it's there all the time and I never even think about curbs and stuff like that. It's like a cam - if you want to have the most performance, you'll sacrifice drivability. On a daily driver I wouldn't want to have anything that can be left on the first curb. On the other hand - FTRA never gave my any problems, so naturally I think it's the best solution.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I vote ftra here as well, I could feel a difference at speed after putting it on, some have gotten a tenth or 2 from it
Old 06-08-2003, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

FTRA. I've got to get a new lower air box, mine cracked when i put my lid on....oh well.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nearly everyone I know has been very happy with the FTRA. Immediate difference in SOTP and track times/mph. I need to get one of these gyzmos.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got the FTRA, but I dont use it as a 'ram air', because youd have to allready be going way to damn fast for it to actually pressurize the intake Im sure. But, it is an excellent 'cold air' intake, which I can easily see on my laptop from the AIT sensor. Less heat = better air = less knock. Thats my .02 US currency notes.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

FTRA gets my vote. I felt a good SOTP diffrence.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked at the ram air setups and I too didn't think they were really catching enough air to be effective. Then the new products came out that caught more air but still necked down right before the bottom of the lid. I ended up making my own out of stainless steel. Two 1.25"x7.5" ducts that feed into the bottom of the lid that are low enough to actually catch the air. I have a pic of it in my sig.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: What's the best "Ram Air" Set up?

Using Autotap I compared the Super Sucker to FTRA. The air inlet temp.(AIT) with the Super Sucker was 4-5 degrees cooler consistently. This is probably due to heat soak from the steel of the FTRA, and that it's taking in it's air down by the radiator unlike the Super Sucker that gets it from the front of the car. The price has also been dropped on the Super Sucker to $199