Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM top end cleaner W/ the LS6 intake removed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM top end cleaner W/ the LS6 intake removed?

Like the subject says, I have my LS6 intake removed and want to clean out the inside of the intake manifold, What is the best and safest way to clean out the oil deposited with out damaging the intake seals? THANX in advance. (LS1 PCV system).
Old 06-10-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: GM top end cleaner W/ the LS6 intake removed?

You need to do it with the engine hot or at least warm. If you just spray it on to clean off the pistons, it will remove alot of carbon, but it will make a tarry paste that will just sit there. I know cause thats what I did when I was installing my heads. I sprayed it on, the when I came back the next day there was a black sludge sitting on the lowest part of the piston. So the motor has to be warm, then you have to drive it hard afterward to blow all that sludge out.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the reply but I was wondering how to clean the inside of LS6 intake (OFF THE ENGINE) before I install it this weekend, Comon guys I know someone has cleaned a intake off the engine, The search featcher gave me no info.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx in advance.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I've used Castrol SuperClean (the purple stuff) and a hose with no problem... Just make sure you get all the water out before putting it back in the car. Lacquer thinner would work well, too, as it would evaporate quickly (I've used that before, too ).