Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa too loud?

Newbie here with an exhaust dilemma:

Bought a Corsa catback a few months ago as the first major mod...sounds great, love it. Recently got the 224/114 cam, hooker LT's, !cats & pulley installed (389 rwhp on an A4 - thanks Speed Inc.)

Here's the dilemma: imo only, this sucker is LOUD. Even got pulled over driving home from Speed Inc! It sounds fine at idle but screams like a stuck pig at WOT.

Here are my options to soften it up:
1) Weld one Random Tech cat into the middle of this thing (was told this might help with some rasp but not soften the sound too much)
2) Replace the new Corsa with a used SLP catback for fairly cheap.
3) Try another catback: Hooker, Borla, Magnaflow...any suggestions w/ the LT's & cam?
4) Live with it...start a fund for tickets.

Please help!

Old 06-12-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Corsa too loud?

ttt
Old 06-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Restricted User

I have FLP headers and I just put the cats on when I am not at the track.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try putting in some high flow cats. They should help keep the noise down as well as get rid of the rasp (and lower the stench). That's the main reason why I keep mine.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get a 5 gallon water jusg and start putting your change out of your pockets in it at the end of everyday
Old 06-13-2003, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, Just let it be known, I have practically no experience with exhaust. The only thing I've ever done is put on a random tech y pipe and gutted the cats. That said; When I was ready to change the exhaust on my ta, I knew I was going to gut the cats & do the y pipe, the miscalculation I had was a deal on a corsa cat back system that never wnet through, so the stock cat back is still there. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust, if I could I would have zero noise out the back end. I knew the corsa system would raise the volume too much for my liking, so I consulted all of my hillbilly friends on the matter. These are the type of guys that still don't like computers hooked up to their big blocks. They all pointed me to their bible, the jeggs catalog & told me to throw a couple of $10 exhaust collectors. Even though I had a hard time believing them, they all told me that it didn't affect the flow enough to change their dyno numbers, and as far as getting their exhaust to quiet down. they said it did wonders. Maybe the collectors are something to look into. Also I hope some guys read this and leave their ideas about them, I'm curious to know since One day, I'll put a better flowing cat back on.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback all. I ended up calling Random Tech directly to get their input. They actually suggested going with a resonator at the end of the Y pipe over a cat simply for cost reasons.

Speed Inc has a little bullet muffler which is pretty much the same thing. So I'm having them clamp it in place just in case I change my mind on this thing.

Scary thing is I'm getting used to the sound & liking it more & more! Hopefully this solution will kill the bad things (rasp drone pop) and keep the goog things (scaring old ladies).
Old 06-13-2003, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Personally, the mod I would do...

Is move from wherever you are that cops can give noise pollution tickets.

TireFryer
Old 06-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Restricted User

dam i am in nj with a good old LM and i never get harassed as a matter of fact i had a cop pull next to me and nod.....i am hoping it was for the car and not because he was......uuughhh not going to think about it......
Old 06-13-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

If I were you, I would take it off and get rid of it, before it starts rattling.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep it the way it is, its one of the best exhaust setups for the LS1 in my opinion!
Old 06-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Teching In

I'm definitely keeping it, too much $$$ to dump. Bullet goes on next week at Speed Inc, I'll give an update then.

And uuh no, I wasn't just getting harrased for 'noise'...kind of punched it through an intersection on Sat mornin...hit 80 in a 35 at WOT in what seemed like 2 secs.

I said "sorry officer but I just got it out of the shop and had to test it" he said "well I hope it wasn't the muffler shop!" Then he insulted me "aren't you a little old to be driving like that" (I'm 32).

Good thing I had a trunk full of parts so my story jived. I think he got a kick out of it. At least he didn't give me a ticket...so I allowed him to insult me.

Worse thing was my wife was right behind me, so she's got another jackass story on me!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Teching In

I would say be more prudent with the right foot when the cops are around!!

Seriously, the Corsa is one of the more mellow exhausts around on a stock car, and adding the headers/no cats/cam to the setup still is keeping it quieter than that same setup with say Loudmouth or Borla.