Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header/Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header/Exhaust Setup

Hello All!
Planning on doing a new header/exhaust set up on my 1998 Trans Am (6 speed). I use the car as a daily driver and I am trying to come up with a good affordable system. I don't want the car to be too loud & raspy.
I am thinking about getting a set of Long tube pacesetters & y-pipe. For the rest of the exhaust....thinking about getting a Borla or Corsa catback. How would either of these setups match up with the Pacesetter longtubes & y-pipe? With this setup will I be able to make use of one of my existing cats? Or will I have to purchase a high flow cat? Again, I don't want to have a set up that is extremely loud but something thats sound pretty sweet esecially at WOT. If you guys have any recommendations, comments, etc. please let me know.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

that set up your talking about would sound great and work fantastic but you might try going with the tsp pacesetter/catted y combo. its cheaper than purchasing all the rest. and no you cant use your old cats gotta ditch em
Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

As far as affordable, the TSP pacesetter long tubes and Y combo is what you're looking for. Its $500 for the cat-less Y pipe, and $679 with the catted Y. Mine fit and look great.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/categoryM.asp?MID=1&catid=8

You wont be able to use your stock cats, and I wouldnt even if you could. The stock cats dont flow that well and the pipe diameter is small. An aftermarket catted Y pipe is the way to go. The cats will be high-flow on 3in pipes.

As far as the cat back, thats really just up to you. Any cat back will work with the headers and Y pipe. If you're looking for quiet at idle look at the hooker cat back. Its not loud at idle, but sounds great at WOT. Also the hooker has almost no rasp which is a big plus. For $350 the hooker is hard to beat.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=194&catid=46

Go to LS1sounds.com to listen to sound clips of different systems. That will help you decide.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

get pacesetter longtubes with the tsp true duals
Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

"Affordable" is relative, but Hooker or Magnaflow will fit that description better than Borla or Corsa for most of us. They are also quieter, which will be helpful especially if you go with an ORY.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

you might try getting the pacesetter with o/r y and having some aftermarket cats welded in. My muffler shop only charged me 35 to weld my aftermarket cats in. I got my cats for 70 for both but they are usually 70 a piece. Ask around at the muffler shops and it might be cheaper to have the cats put in.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

How much time will tis give u on the track? I mean just the pacestter and cated y pipe from TSP already have magnaflow cat back. .3 seconds in the eight sound reasonable? Thanks