Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt Oil Smell After PCV Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burnt Oil Smell After PCV Swap

Well, about two weeks ago or so I took out the stock PCV mutlti-piece valve and replaced it with the new designed one that most have done:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...46c8ca664bf321
I got it for about 4 dollars and I heard it is way better than the originals. Anyways, only at idle (stop light, windows down) I can smell a bit of burning oil (not noticeable to others, but sure is to me). This started about a week after installing it.

All I know to do was to check the valve for leaks etc. The seal was good, the new valve looked clean as a whistle, I took of the MAf and boot from the TB and checked for oil, and it was clean too 9 I cleaned it not too long ago so no more noticeable oil was in there).

Could the new pcv valve have done this? Even though the new design is supposed to let less oil through the TB, could it be letting in more (even though it doesn't seem to be at all?)

Or what else should I check incase I have bad timing and something other than the pcv is causing it? It isn't bad.. yet, and want to catch it in case there actually is a problem before it gets worse. I did a visual inspection of anything that could leak from under the hook and under the car. It looks clean.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you park your car under some clean cardboard it will help identify leaks.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has been. No leaks.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you can monitor your oil and see if you are losing any more than previously with the old pcv valve. it probably wont leak enough to notice. other than that just check out valve covers, oil filler neck, anything with oil going through it that might be cracked and dripping a few drops. maybe you bumped something when you were changing the valve or maybe you have a dry rot line somewhere or something crazy. probably nothing you havent thought of.♦
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'll check everything over again. I'll let you all know if I find anything.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got nothing. Everything looks clean...