Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make an aftermarket lower air box assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone make an aftermarket lower air box assembly?

Im looking into replacing my lower airbox because I cracked it the other day leaning on it while working under the hood. The problem is, I dont want to pay a lot of money for a brand new one from the dealer that Im going to have to cut up for the aftermarket lid and ram air kit. I was wondering if anyone made the lower portion of the air box that is already made to fit an aftermarket lid and ram air kit? Im using the Fast Toys ram air kit and Texas Speed & Perfomance lid. I need one that will work for those 2 components with little or no modifications. By the way, if one does exist, is the front of it where the air from the SS hood goes into opened up more? I ask that because the stock one seems to be kinda low and I would think it would benefit if it were higher or bigger. Thanks
Old 06-18-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone make an aftermarket lower air box assembly?

Replacement stock one runs about $60.00 GM P/N: 25170361

A couple of our sponsors sell the "Strealth" air box which is a lid and lower airbox, but it hasn't got very good reviews. Not to mention it's $300.00
Old 06-18-2003, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Will any of the aftermarket lids (TS&P in particular) fit on the lower portion of the air box on the Stealth kit? Does anyone else offer an aftermarket lower air box? How come it doesnt have good reviews? Is there any way to make the front of the lower air box have a bigger front opening? I hear that there is a kit out there that raises the entire assembly, what is it, how does it work, any improvements, and lastly, does it have good reviews on it? Thanks and dont mean to ask so many question.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The WS6 airbox is another option and its open more in the front. Although, it would cost more and to get the best results out of your FTRA you should have the front sealed up. Your best bet is a junk yard.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen a lower airbox in my life for the LS1 that isn't the Stealth or isn't OEM. Why can't you just fix the stock one? Nothing a little epoxy and fiberglass won't fix!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junkyard!!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Stealth box is much bigger than stock. It won't fit your lid. Your best bet I know of is an OEM lower box. Don't get one new. They are too easy (and cheap) to get from a junkyard or ebay.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club NA

To JonCR96Z: Why would the WS6 airbox be so expensive? I can get a brand new lower air box from the dealer for about $75. How much more would a WS6 one be? Does the WS6 airbox fit on an SS? If so, what has to be done as far as getting it to fit without any problems? (grinding, cutting, shaving, etc.) Well, I guess the Stealth kit is out of the question if you can just use any air lid. I really dont want fabricate one, because with my "riggin'" skill, I will probably wined up messing it up. Lastly, the kit that I mentioned earlier...the one that raises the entire assembly...does that really work or do the same affect? Is it worth doing? Will there be any clearance issues? Thanks
Old 06-20-2003, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club NA

What would have the best outcome and gains: WS6 airbox, buy new OEM SS and modify it, or the raising kit? What has to be done to run the WS6 airbox?Thanks
Old 06-20-2003, 09:06 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy, If you want a used Trans Am or Stock one call Ron (281)367-3193 at Colt Auto sales ( deals in salvaged Fbodies and T/A's ).He has had a lot of these cars go through his place and he might have one or both.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've seen WS6 lower's used under stock Firebird hoods (with a little modification), but not sure if it will fit under a SS hood. I would like to try.. but I don't have an SS any more