Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whinning noise help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whinning noise help?

I have noticed a whinning noise coming from the engine bay. When looking for where it was coming from it sounds like right around the alternator. I have also noticed that my volts seem to flucuate a little bit and the lights dim and brighten at idle. Could this be the alternator going south and if so have any of you noticed the whinning sound when it was going? Maybe the bearing in the alternator?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be your power steering pump. Maybe one of your lines could have a leak. Check your fluid and see if its low.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

i have been keeping an eye on the fluids and all seem to be fine. the car is also kept in a garage and haven't seen any spots at all. thinking it is the alt. as i took the car out last night and got on it hard and the lights were dimming and then getting bright under wot.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

that definately sounds like the alternator... i've had a couple go out, and both did the exact same thing your describing right before they finally took a dump... you probably have about a month left on the current one...
Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I was afraid of. Hard to believe that I only got 31k out of the stock unit. Thanks for the info though.