Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the stock Throttle Body size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What's the stock Throttle Body size?

Anybody happen to know? Haven't been able to look this up anywhere, and I noticed BBK markets a ported TB as being 80mm; just wondered how much if any that is bigger than stock . . .
Old 06-25-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What's the stock Throttle Body size?

For some reason I thought it was like 58mm but I'm probably wrong.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

LT1s were 58mm....

LS1s are 75mm (or 73mm....close to that)....
Old 06-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Hmmm, so that means I should be able to chuck-up my stock TB on the lathe and bore it out to 80mm, right? This is going to be fun . . . then I'll have to figure out how to cut a perfectly round disk out of aluminum sheet metal to make a new butterfly; I think I can rough one out with a saw, drill the mounting holes, then bolt it to a round piece of bar stock so I can true up the circular outer shape on the lathe . . . seems easy, why aren't there people doing this?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:50 AM
I can shift faster than you.

The inlet on the LS1/LS6 intake is only ~75mm, so going to a bigger bore TB without opening up the intake would not be very effective. BBKs 80mm LS1 TB comes with an adapter/reducer for this very reason. Some people have opened up the inlet to accept the larger TB though, but it does take some work.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:03 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK thanks Jason, you just answered my next question! The intake is nylon, so opening that up shouldn't be too bad, just gotta keep the chips outa the engine! I'm going to have the intake off to do the LS6 PCV upgrade, so that'll be the perfect time to do it . . .
Old 06-26-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, so that means I should be able to chuck-up my stock TB on the lathe and bore it out to 80mm, right? This is going to be fun . . . then I'll have to figure out how to cut a perfectly round disk out of aluminum sheet metal to make a new butterfly; I think I can rough one out with a saw, drill the mounting holes, then bolt it to a round piece of bar stock so I can true up the circular outer shape on the lathe . . . seems easy, why aren't there people doing this?
You'll strike air and the throttle shaft bearings long before you get to 80 mm. I have a 78 mm or so Bauer ported LS1 TB on my desk that had to have quite a few areas of the body casting filled. It takes a lot of work and significant $ for about 8% more flow area.

Look closely at the manifold flange before you try to open it up.

My $.02
Old 06-26-2003, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

HAHA.

I have a custom bored 78mm stock TB that is a nice conversation piece.

I had it done four years ago.

When the BBK came out I was like dang I can port my own.

But the intake inlet is like 75.5mm's and this one won't seal now. The BBK comes with a reducer plate.

We filled in one spot but other than that it's was no biggie. Cal if you want to mess with it email me it still needs some work but it had a bigger blade too.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA.

I have a custom bored 78mm stock TB that is a nice conversation piece.

I had it done four years ago.

When the BBK came out I was like dang I can port my own.

But the intake inlet is like 75.5mm's and this one won't seal now. The BBK comes with a reducer plate.

We filled in one spot but other than that it's was no biggie. Cal if you want to mess with it email me it still needs some work but it had a bigger blade too.
If someone wanted to open up the Holley aluminum LS1 manifold and wanted a stock look, the 78 mm ported stocker might be good. AFSIK, the 78 was never flowed against an 80 BBK by Bret.

Right now it's a desk ornament like the polished, powdercoated LS1 rod.

I never liked the reducer idea for the BBK 80 to LSX manifold.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK, looks like BBK starts with their own casting design to solve some of the problems. I could just machine a whole new TB out of bar stock, but that still leaves the problem of modifying the intake. If I'm understanding correctly, when you bore the intake manifold out to 80mm, there isn't enough material left of the mounting flange to properly seal to the new TB. Is this correct?
Old 06-26-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, looks like BBK starts with their own casting design to solve some of the problems. I could just machine a whole new TB out of bar stock, but that still leaves the problem of modifying the intake. If I'm understanding correctly, when you bore the intake manifold out to 80mm, there isn't enough material left of the mounting flange to properly seal to the new TB. Is this correct?
Suggestion: unbolt the TB from your 2001 and look at the manifold mounting area. One peek is worth many posts!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah I just found a picture of it online; I see what you mean, one picture is worth a thousand words! Looks like the inlet flange on the intake is quite narrow and uses a thin, O-ring like gasket very close to the edge that would totally miss the bigger TB. Well, so much for that idea! It would take a lot of JB weld or that Devcon stuff to build up the intake flange.