Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header leak maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header leak maybe???

I just installed my long tubes about 3 months ago and ever since they have been fine. This past weekend i raced a buddy of mine (first time ever really taching the car out) and then a day or so later i can hear wut sounds to be a tiny header leak but also at random times while driving i hear a loud squeky vibrating sound coming from the same side i hear the leak coming from. When i let of at high RPM's or downshift into high R's it just backfires like a muthaF$#%. Anybody, Ideas?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

sure its not the AIR
Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

did you use all the same gaskets? if you did, it might be time to replace your gaskets bro..if not that..check to see if you have any cracks in the welds or flanges
Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Well i have the AIR block off plates on and the hoses are just floppin around under the hood. I used Percy's Carbon gaskets. It's gettin worse and worse
Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

if you have the hoses just flopping around why don't you just take the air completely out? did you re-use the stock header gaskets? and do you have the gasket for the air/egr block offs on? check to see if those gaskets have cracked and check to see if you have leaks in the welds...also check the connection to the ypipe
Old 12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

Did you retighten the the header bolts after a couple heat cycle's they will come losse a little after the first tighting.I also am a big fan of the stock GM gaskets opposed to the aftermarket one's that dont hold up like the stockers.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Yea i'm thinkin its prolly the AIR cuz everytime i let off it makes the squealin noise n just backfires rapidly
Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is an exhaust leak for sure man . you can tell where the leak is by seeing black residue around the area of the leak .
also it could be right after the y pipe if you dont have a gasket . when i did a header swap for a guy he was missing a gasket and told me to go ahead and do it anyway . well sure enough it started spitting and sputtering when letting off the gas . after he went for a ride he ordered a gasket and as soon as i put it on for him sound like it was stock . on the same note check all your connections where stuff meets . it is always a good idea to retighten bolts after doing something .
hope this helps man and merry xmas to all
snake
Old 12-24-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Yea it's just wierd though for all this time it didnt do it then all the sudden it did,which i understand header bolts back themselves out but they were all tight. There is a lil leak in the pipe connected to the header but i got that clamp cranked down the whole way n its still leakin.