Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking apart my intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default taking apart my intake manifold

ok i know it sounds dum but i wanna try to do some porting its a hunk of junk so im not worried about messing it up i just wanna try to get some porting experience
and yea i am really bored so i need something to entertain me

how do u get it apart???? im guessin heat it up in the oven???

any advice or pics would be appreciated
Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

I would advise against pulling any stock GM intake apart (LS1, LS2 or LS6). They are "sonically welded" not glued. And if you were able to pull it apart you'd never get it back together and sealed. It will leak like crazy. The FAST intakes come in 3 parts and are designed to be ported, as for the stockers, the porters use very long bits to do their work.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

/\ I'm with you. I wouldn't do it. If you have an LS6 intake and don't care if you mess it up I'd sell it and purchase an LS1 intake. Much cheaper and many people just throw them out.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to take apart a stock intake, you need to cut the bottom out like this (see pic), then, if it has tower braces, as does the Ls2 intake, those need to be removed. Then you must find high temp. epoxy that will bond w/nylon & trumpet the intake runners like this (see pic & again relates to an LS2), then smooth. You can also sand the oulet of the runners; the end that meets the head. After completing the work, the bottom needs to be welded back on w/ a plastics welder (rod compatible w/nylon). After welding, cover weld w/ high temp silicon & you're done.
Attached Thumbnails taking apart my intake manifold-6f8e_1.jpg   taking apart my intake manifold-6d62_1.jpg  
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

The LS2 is a 3 piece if i remember correctly,,,the LS1 and LS6 are a one piece design.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
The LS2 is a 3 piece if i remember correctly,,,

I don't know if the LS2 is or isn't a 3 piece. Regardless, the only way to get to the inside of my LS2 intake was to cut the bottom off; as shown in pics posted earlier.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have a big ugly truck manifold
and a ls2
couldnt i use fusor to hold it back together?????

if it can be sanded painted grinded molded and everything else i dont see why i couldnt

and heat shouldt be an issue considering u can bake it
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If you want to take apart a stock intake, you need to cut the bottom out like this (see pic), then, if it has tower braces, as does the Ls2 intake, those need to be removed. Then you must find high temp. epoxy that will bond w/nylon & trumpet the intake runners like this (see pic & again relates to an LS2), then smooth. You can also sand the oulet of the runners; the end that meets the head. After completing the work, the bottom needs to be welded back on w/ a plastics welder (rod compatible w/nylon). After welding, cover weld w/ high temp silicon & you're done.
I've never seen one cut open like that before. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jkwalkercchs
well i have a big ugly truck manifold
and a ls2
couldnt i use fusor to hold it back together?????

if it can be sanded painted grinded molded and everything else i dont see why i couldnt

and heat shouldt be an issue considering u can bake it

Try what you wish. However, I can tell you from experience that nothing tried, short of welding w/nylon compatible rod held the bottom on once it was under the engine's vaccum pressure. Now, if you want to nearly **** your pants when it goes POP after a few seconds of running, the first time you fire it up, then by all means try to hold the bottom on w/ adhesive. I don't know what fusor is, but, tried several different methods & nothing short of welding held her together. Also, it is likely that whatever was used by GM to hold it together probably has the same heat toloerance as the nylon. So, the manifold may melt w/ the adhesive if you try heating.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

well you can use fusor panel bond to hold on quarter panels if prepped right the metal will ripp before the fusor lets go

the fusor plastic repair if prepped right should work its just as strong as the panel bond

well i can plastic weld if it needs to be
Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

well you can use fusor panel bond to hold on quarter panels if prepped right the metal will ripp before the fusor lets go

the fusor plastic repair if prepped right should work its just as strong as the panel bond

Why not give it a try? My opinion about the fusor was based upon not knowing what it was. Maybe you have found an adhesive that will stand up to the heat & vacuum @ the intake. If it works, then it will be an advantage for those not willing or able to weld the intake back together.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well welding it is no problem i just think fusor would be 100 times easier so i have no ideal what i need to do in the inside what exactly am i trying to smooth out?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

You need to cut the three support towers out (remove them), then trumpet the inlets as in my pics. Trumpet means to make a smooth trumpet shape surrounding each runner opening. All of the yellow colored stuff in my manifold is added epoxy, used to do what I have described.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

o ok did it show any gains??
Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

o ok did it show any gains??
Other members who have done this have shown gains as good as a fast 90/90. I will not be tuning w/the LS2 until April & can post then. My TB is 85mm & will show less than a 90mm.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm i wish i could see it up close like toch it lol the pics do help but yea i need to really see it to get the ideal of what to do but whats the worst that could happen lol

ok lots but still im gonna give it a try

Quick Reply: taking apart my intake manifold