Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers installed now it won't run right!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers installed now it won't run right!

I just got done putting my pacesetter longtubes on and i went for a spin. The car is running good at first nice sound no problems. as soon as i start to driver it starts to go dead i give it some gas and it runs a little better the more gas the better it runs but soon as i let off of it it wants to go dead. there isn't much power either. the ses light flashed for a second then stoped. is it my o2 sensors? which two of the four do i keep plug in i have the front two plung in right know is that right? it also didnt want to shift right either. i don't know whats going on any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check pulgs/wires, this is a common problem after a header install. Either the wire wasn't on all the way or the plug casing got cracked if you didn't remove them when installing the header. Also, you'll need to either get those rears tuned out or get sims, which I don't think they make anymore.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

take it to auto zone and get the codes read..... sounds like a misfire. the car should still run OK on closed loop without o2s..... so maybe you cracked a plug putting the headers in. Also check at night to see if any connections are sparking.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure all the wires are all the ways on. If that doesn't help replace the plugs because its common to have cracked the porcelain when putting the headers on.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I am assuming you either tuned out the rear 02's or you have O2 simms on them?

Either way, get it tuned, and also check from broken plugs/wires.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPOOKY
I just got done putting my pacesetter longtubes on and i went for a spin. The car is running good at first nice sound no problems. as soon as i start to driver it starts to go dead i give it some gas and it runs a little better the more gas the better it runs but soon as i let off of it it wants to go dead. there isn't much power either. the ses light flashed for a second then stoped. is it my o2 sensors? which two of the four do i keep plug in i have the front two plung in right know is that right? it also didnt want to shift right either. i don't know whats going on any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Front 2 O2's are the correct ones to have plugged in. rears have no effect on the running of the car they are only there to be sure the cats are working properly.

I have to agree with the others.. probably a cracked spark plug or Plug wire not on all the way. It could also be an air leak before the O2 sensors where the exhaust is letting air in before the O2's throwing off the readings.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies i went to auto zone they checked the codes. I expected the egr code but the guy said one of the codes was comming up as left back o2 he didnt say what i would need. I do not have the o2 sims or a tune. i will check the plugs tonight. i just got back from autozone and the way there and back it ran better than before but still bad. the ses light was blinking then it stoped. The car feels like it has no power? thanks for the help guys
Old 02-24-2008, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

A blinking SES light means misfire I am pretty sure
Old 02-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
A blinking SES light means misfire I am pretty sure
If that is it what do i need to do? i checked all plugs and wires all good. i beleave the guy at auto zone said somthing about that as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Did you replace the plugs or just look them over? The plug might be bad and not be visible. If you haven't I would just go ahead and place them all just to make sure.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

It sounds like you have a spark plug or two that have hairline cracks in the porcelain, or your front o2 sensors arnt working correctly, make sure you have the front o2's plugged into the front connectors not the back, i had the same problem when my o2's were bad.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPOOKY
If that is it what do i need to do? i checked all plugs and wires all good. i beleave the guy at auto zone said somthing about that as well.
I'd get my O2 sensors on the manifolds checked. When mine went out it would spudder alot and smell fuel. Those make a BIG difference on performance when they go bad.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

yeah blinking ses light means misfire. if it blinks a whole lot, like more than 30 times or so in a row, then its almost surely a misfire. I just did lt swap like a week ago and had the exact same problem. Go over all the plug to wire connections and plug to coil pack connections. give them a bit of a tug and if they come off easy, you know thats where your problem is. I'm sure you know from doing it, but when they are all the way on you will hear them pop and when they come off from a full seal they will pop as well. Hope you get it fixed soon b/c right now youre not feeling the full gain of lt's. - Ben
Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

If you didn't change the plugs while the manifolds were off, then you missed an ideal time to do so. There's a chance that one or some of the plug wires are not fully connected to the plugs. You may have not pushed them on to the plugs hard enough. Pull all of the wires (by the boot, not by the wire) and push them back onto the plugs until you here a little "click". Before pushing them on, look into the plug wire boot and ensure that the metal contacts are not smashed.