Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mac headers questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default mac headers questions

i was intrested in going with mac mids for my car for the reason that im going to be lowering it real soon and i dont want to mess with scraping all the damn time lol.

so my question is if i go with macs does the y pipe bang on the floor board like the long tubes do?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just depends. Most of the time people that care about that and are smart about it at the same time usually take it and have the exhaust custom bent for the specific application. I have had 4 different setups all with custom pipes and never had a bang problem. Y's or X's not one has given me a clearance problem either. If done right it will be a dream. Honestly it costs the same to have an "off the shelf" y-pipe as it does to have Joe John at Bud's mufflers make you one that is gonna fit *correctly*.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Just depends. Most of the time people that care about that and are smart about it at the same time usually take it and have the exhaust custom bent for the specific application. I have had 4 different setups all with custom pipes and never had a bang problem. Y's or X's not one has given me a clearance problem either. If done right it will be a dream. Honestly it costs the same to have an "off the shelf" y-pipe as it does to have Joe John at Bud's mufflers make you one that is gonna fit *correctly*.
so what your saying is the only reason that it bangs on the floor board is because it is too close to it? and if i get it made to fit so its not so close then it wont bang? is this true with all headers or just the macs?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Y-pipe will be the lowest part of the car reguardless of Longtubes or Mids. The Mac's will not give good power gains. I would get a set of Kooks. The ground clearance is great on them.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM

Kooks long tubes w/ catted Y.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am lowered 2" and I have no problems with my Edelbrocks...Y pipe is lower..just can't fly over speedbumps....just my y will touch over big ones, not the Headers themselves,as said above.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Second Fun Car

I had some problems with mine but I have 3 inch cats in them also. Anything you get will be the lowest point on the car. Best idea is to have a good muffler man build you a custom ypipe.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

alright thanks guys for all the responses i think im going to go with some long tubes, now wich ones to get lol