Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering plumbing question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering plumbing question.

Ls1 engine. I'm trying to hook up an aftermarket off road R&P unit. The factory power steering pump has a threaded fitting and a clamp on fitting. My rack and pinion has 2 threaded fittings, one a bit larger than the other. Generally do the R&P have only 1 pressurized inlet and the outlet is low pressure? I assume the power steering threaded port goes to the RP larger fitting and then a low pressure return. Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're on the right track but I don't think you can determine which fitting on the rack is pressure or return by the size - do you have access to the manufacturer to ask the question? Are the fittings on the stock rack two different sizes?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, on the rack there is one 8an and one 6an. So there is one side that is not high pressure? I just assumed both would have pressure. I'm trying to track the manufacturer now but there are no markings on the unit. It actually is an in line unit that assist the steering then a rod goes to the rack.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In general (but may not be the case here, so you better check) the smaller hose or tube is generally the High Pressure side.. (ie AC hose and normal power steering, heater core).