Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhhhhhhhh, did the MAF de-screen, problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uhhhhhhhh, did the MAF de-screen, problem.

Well,I literaly just got done descreening the MAF and realized, it will not go back in. Maybe it has to do wit thefact I pryed it out, destroying the outer edge on half of it. Was his how you are suposed to do it? I tried to push through the other end, but no sucess. I was fed up and just sarted to pry it off, this did the trick. Will I se any gains? It is a 2001 A4 SS.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Uhhhhhhhh, did the MAF de-screen, problem.

Yeah, you just have to pry it out. If you're very careful, you can usually do it with very little screen damage. You probably won't be able to feel the gain, but I believe it helps some.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you don't have a MAFT or LS1edit, I'd take that timing tricker out of there because by you descreening the MAF, you just made it run lean.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb move, you'll be seeing low line pressure on your shifts == dead tranny soon. Trust me, I had an A4 car that I descreened. Never again.

Dope
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

By removing the MAF screen your car will no longer have a smooth air flow entering the intake. That screen is there for a reason to smoothen out the airflow. What the hell, I shouldn't be talking..I took my off years ago. If could find mine I would put it back in though.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dumb move, you'll be seeing low line pressure on your shifts == dead tranny soon. Trust me, I had an A4 car that I descreened. Never again.

Dope
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. It's one of those Urban Legends. We've had many A4 cars with ported and descreened MAFs with NO problems. My wife's car, formally "Project Wife's Car", had ported ends on it for over 3 years with an aftermarket torque converter. The car had 50,000 miles and over 550 drag strip passes on it. The car even had a 100 TNT kit on it for the last year. All this with the stock untouched A4 with never a hiccup.
This whole line pressure issue arose when a certin torque converter manufacture had many problems with a certin torque and started trying to blame it on other things, such as ported MAFs. That torque converter was then later pulled from production because of repeated problems. No I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up just a whole lot of experience with a whole of cars.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

"Dumb move, you'll be seeing low line pressure on your shifts == dead tranny soon. Trust me, I had an A4 car that I descreened. Never again."

BS. No offense. It would have to change the reported load significantly to do that...and it doesn't.

"By removing the MAF screen your car will no longer have a smooth air flow entering the intake."

More BS. No offense to you either. The lid straightens out the air plenty. If straightening the air were much of an issue, there would be a smooth tube rather than an accordian tube after the MAF.

Folks, people have been descreening these things for at least 5 years now, and other than people incorrectly doing it (causing damage to the MAF), not one person has proven that it causes any harm. By contrast, thousands of people have reported gains in flow and therefore, HP.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got 6 horses when i descreened and put a lid on my 02 T/A.Runs good enough to bring home hardware from the drag strip.A4 is working good No problems here.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

The MAFs are calibrated with the screen on...within a certain range. When you remove the screen, it will alter the calibration...does it move it out of the range?..maybe, maybe not. It depends on your MAF. Most people see gains, some don't...it's a crap shoot without actually knowing the extent of the delta for the calibration.

AutoTap the car and make sure your feuling is still correct. If you've got the screen off, and you're not running lean, don't sweat it.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dope
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. It's one of those Urban Legends. We've had many A4 cars with ported and descreened MAFs with NO problems. My wife's car, formally "Project Wife's Car", had ported ends on it for over 3 years with an aftermarket torque converter. The car had 50,000 miles and over 550 drag strip passes on it. The car even had a 100 TNT kit on it for the last year. All this with the stock untouched A4 with never a hiccup.
This whole line pressure issue arose when a certin torque converter manufacture had many problems with a certin torque and started trying to blame it on other things, such as ported MAFs. That torque converter was then later pulled from production because of repeated problems. No I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up just a whole lot of experience with a whole of cars.
Well, I never heard anything about certain TC manufacturers, I too am basing my opinion on real world experiences. I descreened my MAF, and immediately afterwards, part throttle shifts were very slow and sloppy. I drove it for a couple days to see if it'd go away but it didn't. I put the stock MAF ends back on, boom, shifts fine again. I thought I'd also mention that at the strip, the car would sometimes bounce off the rev limiter going into 3rd, with the ported ends.

Quite frankly, I was ahead of myself in claiming that the tranny would die soon, because mine didn't in the few days I had the ends on. I said that based on the assumption that slow sloppy shifts would lead to excessive wear and premature failure. Maybe a transmission that would have lasted 100k would only last 50k, or maybe it'd only last 99k.

Oh well, I sold that car, and I have an M6 now, I'll probably pull the screen

Dope
Old 08-04-2003, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

If you descreen your MAF just recent your compute r so it'll re-learn the Ltrims. It made my car run lean but after a computer reset it went rich before tuning.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe.. I'm with Paul. Ported MAF ends on 2 different cars here too... my old 99 SS and the Formula, never an issue.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:13 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Descreening a MAF won't do anything.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regardless if anybody has any issues.

Tuning is based on the load. (fuel curves, timing tables...)

Maf is used to determine load. (along with TPS and other paramaters)

Ported and descreened mafs WILL effect the load tables used by the computer.

Will it hurt performance... maybe maybe not? That is up for debate.

Ryan.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Removing the screen from the MAF helped reduce the top end restriction in my intake which we proved by running back to back on the dyno while watching my MAP readings.

With the screen in my MAP was 94 top end, without the screen my MAP was 96-97. This also gave me about 3-4rwkw. I have an LS1 powered Commmodore so my intake is not as short as your cars and needs to run through a 90 degree bend so removing this restriction makes a big difference.

My car is an auto and running without the screen is fine as the air filter pre-straightens the air enough before it gets to the MAF. I tried running at the track without the filter and it felt very inconsistant compared to running with the filter due to the unstraightened air.

Brett.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

As for the whole line pressure thing, it is not true what so ever. If anything, the car shifts firmer, and harder. I saw very large gains, and can not complain except for the fact I fu(ked up the scren. (I started this thread) I have since added a high flow bellows, and saw even bigger gains. Oh by the way, when the air is directed into the valve port, it wont matter if it is straight or not. Also, look at the LS1 powered NHRA car, it runs 8-9s, and runs only a MAF, High Flow Bellows, and no screen.(Not sure if it is an auto or stick)
Old 08-04-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

"I put the stock MAF ends back on, boom, shifts fine again. I thought I'd also mention that at the strip, the car would sometimes bounce off the rev limiter going into 3rd, with the ported ends."

There seems to be some confusion between descreening the MAF and porting the MAF (or using aftermarket ends, which has the same effect.) Porting the MAF results in a lowered reported
load to the PCM from the MAF. Descreening the MAF does not. Try it and Autotap it for yourself. You'll see that the load doesn't change. That's why descreening the MAF doesn't make you run leaner (where as porting it or using aftermarket ends does.)

Clear?

And, as mentioned before, if the air filter and then the lid doesn't straighten out the airflow, that little dinky screen damn sure isn't going to do it.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

I have Fast Toys ported maff ends and no screen with no problems. Because of the talk on the site I was concerned and had my line pressure checked it was right on.

bob
Old 08-15-2003, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

I was under the impression that the screen is not to straighten the airflow. But it does help promote even air distribution across the MAF.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Seems as if your intake setup is straight then screen is not neccessary? Read this:

http://www.idavette.net/hib/02ls6/page4.htm