Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In bewilderment, please help! Pic inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In bewilderment, please help! Pic inside.

Ok, just picked up the car and couldn't believe I missed this. Car is a H/C car and I just notived the pcv lines were not connected on the driver side rear and mid way on the passenger side valve cover. (like shown in pic)
Strange part is they aren't plugged like it was intentional...the lines are right where they are supposed to be just not plugged in. In fact, the hole on the driver side has no cover on it at all, just open with the line hanging there...there's even oil all over the firewall from it being open.
Why would the guy who owned it before me do this? If he was going to eliminate the pcv lines shouldn't he have plugged the pass. side nipple, pcv port at TB, driver side valve cover and run a breather filter on the oil fill cap?
What are my options here? Should I just reconnect all that he had undone?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting a good deal of fumes coming out while it's unning? I assume the vacuum port on the lower passenger side of the throttle body is plugged?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Haven't watched it while it's running. The vacuum port on lower pass side of TB is hooked up. I just called the previous owner and he's without a clue. I think whoever did the work on it just forgot or didn't re-hook this stuff up..?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there should be a line on there or a cap if someone put in a ls6 valley cover.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sworaz
Haven't watched it while it's running. The vacuum port on lower pass side of TB is hooked up. I just called the previous owner and he's without a clue. I think whoever did the work on it just forgot or didn't re-hook this stuff up..?
Hooked up to what? The PCV port on the TB connects to a short hose, then the PCV, then runs back to the rear of the pass valve cover, the over to the rear of the drivers valve cover. The breather for the system connects from the top of the TB over to the front of the pass side valve cover.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Hooked up to what? The PCV port on the TB connects to a short hose, then the PCV, then runs back to the rear of the pass valve cover, the over to the rear of the drivers valve cover. The breather for the system connects from the top of the TB over to the front of the pass side valve cover.
Never mind lol it takes too much time to explain, thought it was clearly explained already. I already know how a stock pcv system works and how to run it. I just wanted to see if there might have been some thoughts as to why the guy would have left them un hooked like that. I'm just going to re hook it back up the way it's supposed to be. Thanks though.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

OK. My point was that the only reason I can think of to leave it open like that is that there is a good deal of blow by and the previous owner didn't want it going into the intake, and if the vacuum is hooked to the hose but the hose is unplugged, you've got a vacuum leak and are sucking dirty air. Run it to check for fumes first, then if that's OK, just hook it up.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK. My point was that the only reason I can think of to leave it open like that is that there is a good deal of blow by and the previous owner didn't want it going into the intake, and if the vacuum is hooked to the hose but the hose is unplugged, you've got a vacuum leak and are sucking dirty air. Run it to check for fumes first, then if that's OK, just hook it up.
Correct. You do not ever want open lines & you never want it all capped off. The crankcase not only has to breath, but it needs a filtered fresh air source to "flush" the harmful vapors & gasses from the crankcase. Look at the catch can threads also.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Correct. You do not ever want open lines & you never want it all capped off. The crankcase not only has to breath, but it needs a filtered fresh air source to "flush" the harmful vapors & gasses from the crankcase. Look at the catch can threads also.
Thanks for the responses.