Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow install

I just ordered a new magnaflow catback but i cant decide whether to install it or have a shop put it in, i have jackstands and im alright at doing stuff to my own car but im not the greatest welder, what should i do? also ive got a leak somewere between one of the manifolds and the catback what should i do to fix that while the system is off?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

do it yourself, just use exhaust clamps. Its not hard, and you'll save money that can be put towards other mods or gas. Seriously, don't let a shop get easy money. As for the leak, put it on the jack stands, and start the car. Get under the car and figure out where it is coming from, you should be able to hear it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Unertl42
do it yourself, just use exhaust clamps. Its not hard, and you'll save money that can be put towards other mods or gas. Seriously, don't let a shop get easy money. As for the leak, put it on the jack stands, and start the car. Get under the car and figure out where it is coming from, you should be able to hear it.
The install is straight forward you don't need to weld at all....the hardest part is taking out the stock system and lining up the new tips You can do it!!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

alrite i guess ill do it myself the mechanic whos restoring my dads truck said he could help me for free, does the leak need a new gasket b/t the cat and catback maybe?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binks0678
alrite i guess ill do it myself the mechanic whos restoring my dads truck said he could help me for free, does the leak need a new gasket b/t the cat and catback maybe?
No it does'nt need gaskets, just get some 3'' band clamps and you won't have to worry about it. It's a very ez install. gl. Brian
Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Don't use the 3" C-clamp for the pipe that connects to the y....either use the stock band clamp or get a new one. I tried using that C-clamp and got a leak from there.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

alrite thanks for all the help guys, i cant wait to get it on! i just hope its not to quite for my taste but once i get LT's ide say it will be just right
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have LT's/ORY and a magnaflow catback... to be honest, after having the SLP Loudmouth on for years then switching to this once I got my headers and Y-pipe on I felt the Magnaflow was a little on the quiet side. But the sound/tone is much better and it sounds pretty good on WOT... just sitten in traffic it's really quiet at idle...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure you get the good clamps for it. None of that U-bolt crush clamp crap.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Just make sure you get the good clamps for it. None of that U-bolt crush clamp crap.
THIS GUY is right!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Catback installs is one of the easiest newbie mod. You can do it!!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes96z
Catback installs is one of the easiest newbie mod. You can do it!!
Comes right after you install a lid all by yourself.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

well it came in today and i had it all installed in less than 2 hours easy as pie, only problem is the tips are almost touchin the bumper so ill try to adjust those, i hadnt checked this thread in a while so i went ahead and used the u clamps that the system came with is that alright? it felt pretty solid?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

well it came in today and i had it all installed in less than 2 hours easy as pie, only problem is the tips are almost touchin the bumper so ill try to adjust those, i hadnt checked this thread in a while so i went ahead and used the u clamps that the system came with is that alright? it felt pretty solid?
Glad to hear you saved some $$$ and got some experience under your belt If the clamps aren't leaking for you then use em. They were leaky for me so I replaced em with band clamps. The tips are a pain to get right. I had to mess with them for a while Finally got them where I want them. So, what do you think so far??? Post some pics if you could
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i LOVE the tone of the magnaflow its so deep and mellow and quite a bit louder than stock, idk if it jus sounds faster or if it really is but it felt like it had a little more power to, like when i powershifted into 2nd it felt like it spun harder than it used to, i still wouldnt mind a little louder though once i get LT's it will be perfect i think, overall i love it especially for $350 brand new cant beat that. im very glad i installed it myself it just feels better to get it done yourself lol ......heres a crappy pic ill get some better ones