Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1637, blown gauges fuse, burning smell!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1637, blown gauges fuse, burning smell!

Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes. This is regarding my 99 WS6 with 120K miles.

I've been battling the dreaded P1637 code for several months now. Read about it plenty here on tech. Alternator has been replaced twice, checks out fine. Next step I replaced the connector on the wire that plugs in to the top of the alternator (the one that comes from the PCM). No change, car still throws code, idles rough sometimes, and hesitates sometimes when taking off from a stop.

This morning, my wife was driving the car to work and the gauges stopped working. She pulled over into a parking lot and the car wouldn't start after she turned it off. I got there and found a blown gauges fuse, replaced it with another and the car fired up. Drove the car back to the house to put it in the garage, not more than a 5 minute drive. By the time we got there, noticed a very strong burning smell (electrical). It was so bad I thought something was on fire, popped the hood and disconnected the battery. I looked it over and couldn't see anything burnt.

Any ideas? Is it likely the P1637 code is related to the blown gauges fuse and burning smell?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys...
Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10125.php