Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal for the stock lid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal for the stock lid?

I just took off my stock lid and silencer to get to the pulleys a noticed that the rubber hose connecting the lid to the silencer is all messed up. It looks like the seal at the bottom of the hose got destroyed somehow. Does this happen to all stock lids after a certian period of time? It looks like sombody pulled the lid up too high while trying to change the filter and broke the seal at the bottom. See the pictures below.

This isn't normal is it? I would just say screw it and get an aftermarket lid, but I'm **** about noises on cars and I've heard that most aftermarket lids make a whistling noise as the rpms go up. If not all stock lids are like this, I might end up seeing if someone local has a stock lid they would like to get rid of.
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal for the stock lid?-inside.jpg   Is this normal for the stock lid?-outside.jpg  
Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Teching In

This happens from pulling the lid too high when changing the air filter. This happened to mine also. It might look like its destroyed, but just try to put it back in place and it should look like new again. If you want you can put some type of glue to hold it in place. The factory glue has rotted from the looks of the picture.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing... almost looked like a heat issue of the rubber getting too hot and getting sucked in... I put mine back in place with some sort of automotive glue and never had the issue again... but i eventually upgraded to an aftermarket lid
Old 05-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it still looks all screwed up back in place. I lifted the lid just enough to get a picture of what it looks like in place (Looks like I need to clean the MAF screen!). I might try to glue it, but the rubber is warped I can't really even physically move it back to the way it's supposed to be.

Those aftermarket lids don't whistle too bad, right ?
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal for the stock lid?-car.jpg  
Old 05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Launching!

same thing with mine and everytime I pushed it in it came out again. The best fix is to get an SLP lid. Thats what I did.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Remove the rubber piece from the plastic box and then put it back in, it should fit perfect. Mine was worse than that and it looks like new now. It's not as hard as it looks.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

It doesn't matter now, someone local had a spare one they didn't need. Thanks for your help!