Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable the security light? Gauge cluter is already out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable the security light? Gauge cluter is already out!

I know i could post in a better section, but since i do have a Gen III, and i'm sure this is a rare question, i wanted to post here because of the number of views this section gets. I already have the cluster out and am wanting to put it back in fast because this is my DD.

I just bought this Camaro a few weeks ago and I bought it knowing that it has a glitched alarm system. I bought it from a kid who bought a remote control off of ebay and wired it himself to make the alarm work. You can't lock the doors with the remote or the alarm will go off. If you lock it from inside, the alarm will still go off on rare occasions. So i basically never lock the doors because of this horrible alarm he has installed. I locked my doors yesterday because i was in a not-so-good neighborhood, and when i got in my car, the Security light was on. I had no trouble starting it or driving it and i know it has to have something to do with the glitched system he has on it. Since i can't get the light to go off, i decided to just unplug the light from the cluster.

I took out the cluster, looked for a place to unplug the light, but i see none on the back. I thought there'd be cables running to each light but that isn't the case. I'm just wondering, since i already have the cluster out, how do i disable the security light from coming on? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Put electrical tape over the LED, while you are in there cover up others besides yourSES that may come on from later planned mods.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LPTXZ28
Put electrical tape over the LED, while you are in there cover up others besides yourSES that may come on from later planned mods.
There is no way to pull out the small black tabs (there are 5 or 6) on the back of the cluster. So do you mean just put a piece of electrical tape over the area where the light would be on the back of the cluster?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

my security light is on all the time because my VATS system was messed up and instead of spending $500+ for a new key tumbler install i did the .25 resistor mod to the wires underneath. the only way to get the light turned off for real is to tune it out with software. if you go to a dyno/tuning shop they can do it (for a fee of course).