Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hardcore techs help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardcore techs help.

right now my car is a stock a4. what could i get out of 4:10 gears and a tuner? i dont know if that sounds wierd for my first mods on this car but i just want it to be QUICK while working for my mods. is this a bad idea? if not, how much will both of these mods cost/what are the names of manufacturers for them that you prefer?

thanks for your help.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

I had a 410 in my 98Z and loved it. I used Strange had no problems with it. You can get a gear and install kit for under $300. If your going to spend the money on a tune you should add some long tube headers and an aftermarket cat back to take more advantage of the results. How quick are you trying to get the car?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

well im in cali so i have to pass smog and i dont think i can do that with longtubes. but i plan on getting ls6 heads and intake, port/polish stock tb small cam, and if not longtubes, shorty headers, catted y, to a bassani muffler and catback.

i just want to have it quick until i get all that.

all said and done, my mechanic said maybe 400+?

but with a streetable tune with all those mods, what do you think i could make?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

You can run long tubes with a catted y. I wouldn't spend the money on shorties. My .02
Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

Shorties are a waste of time on these cars. You might hit 400 RWHP with a nice set of heads and a decent cam if you still want to keep all of your emissions stuff, but I'm pretty sure they make LT's with all ur smog pump hookups on them still. As long as you keep cats and get a good tune you should be fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Yes they make long tubes with the emissions crap. I have Hooker Super Comps with them.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, they mail Long Tube with the Air and EGR ports, but the reason why Long Tube Headers will not pass the Calif Smog test is that the Cat location will need to be moved (in distance from the head/port). It will fail the visual (unless you know the inspector will not look too close).
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

so if i can get longtubes for sure, what brand do you guys suggest i get? i was just going to get pacesetters because thats seems to be the best. and then what brand of catted y pipe should i get?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LETHLS1
so if i can get longtubes for sure, what brand do you guys suggest i get? i was just going to get pacesetters because thats seems to be the best. and then what brand of catted y pipe should i get?
Who's telling you that Pacesetters are the best?

What headers you should get depends on a few things. If you want them to last a while then you'll need to go stainless. Coated just doesn't last very long. Pacesetters are very inexpensive. You will get a good power gain and good sound but they don't make a stainless version so they will eventually rust. For stainless, QTP and Kooks seem to be on top but some people are having luck with eBay headers.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

you asked about gears, well is this your DD? if so you dont want 4.10's cause gas mileage is gonna eat ****, i wouldnt go any higher than 3.73 on a DD, now if you dont DD it, then 4.10 will be alot of fun, i am assuming the tune is to adjust the speedo, maybe tune out torque management and lower fan temp, hope this helps
Old 05-16-2008, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

im gonnna stick with 373's until i get all my mods. that way i can see if ill be happy or not.

thanks guys for all your help on the exhaust topic.