Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First impression of the new TSP 1-7/8" headers....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First impression of the new TSP 1-7/8" headers....

My headers arrived yesterday just in time for the long weekend, so I figured i'd go ahead and throw them in today. Well I jacked the car up and went to slide the passenger side header in and it slid right in no problem, didn't have to remove the starter or anything, so I was thinkin sweet, i'll be done in no time, they got the fitment on these things great!!!! So I go over to the drivers side and boy was that a totally different story!!! I removed the oil filter, the little piece above it and the steering shaft and they still won't slide in, from the looks of it, the only way to get that header to slide in is to hold the motor up and remove that side motor mount, cuz it will have to slide through where the motor mount sits! All in all, they seem like a nice header, but I can't believe i've gotta pull the motor mount to get that drivers side header in, that's pretty rediculous and should've been designed better than that!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any manufacturer comments or suggestions?
Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

tsp where you at?

Chad
Old 05-24-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
Any manufacturer comments or suggestions?
I'm gonna try and give a call on tuesday, i'm assuming they're closed today, cuz I tried to call and couldn't get an answer. I'm not bashing them, like I said, the quality of the headers is very nice and the price was great for a 1-7/8" header, just wish a little more thought would've gone into the install on that drivers side one, i've read in another thread that someone had to do the same, so i'm assuming it's an issue with them and not just my set, was hoping not!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I got bored this morning and just went ahead and pulled the drivers side motor mount and loosened up the pass side on the bottom so I could lift the motor a little and put the drivers side header in, i'll let you know how they fit once they are all bolted up, after I got it in and put the mount back in and tightened everything down it started to rain so I had to clean up and will bolt the headers down another day, but at least the hard part is done!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good information to have. but don't tell me you're working on a mid 9 second car outside?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drivers side is always a pain in the ***
Old 05-26-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by s346k
good information to have. but don't tell me you're working on a mid 9 second car outside?
Hahaha, wish I had a garage man, but the house that we're renting right now only has a car port, so if it rains hard enough I have to pack up cuz it will blow in from the sides. When my fiancee finishes school we're gonna start looking to buy a house and I will definately have a garage and man will it be nice! ****, when I first put this motor together 3 years ago we were living in an apartment complex and I went and rented a cherry picker and pulled it and installed it right there in the parking lot, haha, gotta make due with what ya got!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

It ended up turning into a fairly nice day after the rain, so after dinner I decided to go out and bolt 'em up. Once in the car, the fitment is great, they clear everything and have very good ground clearance! Here's a few pics:

The welds aren't the prettiest things, but they're not bad, but the welds on my cage are much nicer, as long as they don't blow out or leak that's all that matters though!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

ground clearance looks amazing!

now for some dyno numbers...

Chad
Old 05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
ground clearance looks amazing!

now for some dyno numbers...

Chad
Honestly, this car almost never sees the dyno, I do all my tuning on the street and at the track. I have to get my injectors and throttle body and then she'll be off to the strip, so i'll let everyone know how she does with the new setup as soon as I get her up and goin!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

I was going to post pics but mine look exactly the same and process was indentical to yours
they look awesome in the car..... Ill post dyno numbers but it will be 2-4 weeks
Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Honestly, this car almost never sees the dyno, I do all my tuning on the street and at the track. I have to get my injectors and throttle body and then she'll be off to the strip, so i'll let everyone know how she does with the new setup as soon as I get her up and goin!
Thats what I like to hear
Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Thats what I like to hear
Yeah man, I was told by my tranny guy that it's really hard on parts to put the car on the dyno after I brought him my blown up turbo 400 after hittin a 300 shot on the dyno while tuning, ever since then it hasn't seen the dyno but maybe once and only on motor, just to make sure my wideband was accurate against a dyno's wideband. And i've always done my driveability tuning on the street, there's really no other way to get all the little quirks tuned out unless you drive it around and see what it's doing and make the changes for real life driving, same for wot, you don't get anywhere near the air on the dyno that you do going 140 mph down the strip or the highway late at night (which I do every now and then when I need to tune wot if I can't get to the strip or need it dialed in and ready to go before hittin the strip)!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I'm glad to see that you guys are having good luck in the fitment of the headers. That is our first and foremost concern. I would rather have a header that performs and fits good rather than an easy install. I can tell you from personal experience, there isn't a 1 7/8" header that is easy to install. I know the last set we installed here we were able to leave the motor mounts in and then removed the tranny crossmember and push the motor over far enough (due to play in the motor mounts) to get the headers in. Just like in any case, a K-member makes the headers slide right in.

I will see what we can do to possibly make the install easier for you guys without sacrificing fitment or power. We always appreciate the feedback!

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
First off, I'm glad to see that you guys are having good luck in the fitment of the headers. That is our first and foremost concern. I would rather have a header that performs and fits good rather than an easy install. I can tell you from personal experience, there isn't a 1 7/8" header that is easy to install. I know the last set we installed here we were able to leave the motor mounts in and then removed the tranny crossmember and push the motor over far enough (due to play in the motor mounts) to get the headers in. Just like in any case, a K-member makes the headers slide right in.

I will see what we can do to possibly make the install easier for you guys without sacrificing fitment or power. We always appreciate the feedback!

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
Yeah man, the fitment on these once in is amazing, my 1-3/4" jet hots didn't fit this good, they sat on the kmember and the drivers side collector pointed up at the floor board and almost touched, you guys did a great job with that!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Yeah man, I was told by my tranny guy that it's really hard on parts to put the car on the dyno after I brought him my blown up turbo 400 after hittin a 300 shot on the dyno while tuning, ever since then it hasn't seen the dyno but maybe once and only on motor, just to make sure my wideband was accurate against a dyno's wideband. And i've always done my driveability tuning on the street, there's really no other way to get all the little quirks tuned out unless you drive it around and see what it's doing and make the changes for real life driving, same for wot, you don't get anywhere near the air on the dyno that you do going 140 mph down the strip or the highway late at night (which I do every now and then when I need to tune wot if I can't get to the strip or need it dialed in and ready to go before hittin the strip)!
Ohh I know what you mean man, thats how the guys that tuned my car did it and it drives like a dream. I think it really is the best way to do it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Launching!

finally got my car running today, headers fit awesome and sound good, Thanks to Texas Speed for there awesome R&D to provide us bad-*** parts for our cars.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theinstag8r
finally got my car running today, headers fit awesome and sound good, Thanks to Texas Speed for there awesome R&D to provide us bad-*** parts for our cars.
Glad you like them! How was install for you? Any pointers to share with those who are on the fence or have them but haven't installed them yet? We haven't had to un-do motor mounts on any of our test cars, but usually let go of the tranny mount to give that little bit of give so we can pry the drivetrain over one way or the other that little bit to let them slide right in.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Launching!

i have solid mounts so i had to slide the drivers side mount out of the way. other than that they slid right in. Anyone who is thinking of getting these should not hesitate and get them.