Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Rear TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Rear TIPS

Does having different shapes and style tips make a difference in the sound? For example:

Having a rectangular tip compare to a round long Tip or not having Tips at all just straight pipe with no tips at all.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In theory, yea. In reality, not much. I'm not saying there isn't a difference in sound. There HAS to be a difference in sound. However, the question is, how big? I can tell you right now, you probably won't notice it at all, especially on louder setups. I'm willing to bet that nearly everyone in this thread is going to tell you "nothing worth mentioning." I'd be really surprised if you could detect a difference in sound from an exhaust tip change. It's probably too small to notice in nearly every instance.

That is, unless you get these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk
Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

^^^LMAO at that video . But yea, in most cases, the sound difference would be very minimal.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds good to me! Thanks guys for the feed back. Im going to cut my flow master off and not use a muffler using a single exhaust. Should sound pretty good from what i hear and read on here
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Wooooooo Woooooooo Lol!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramair21
Sounds good to me! Thanks guys for the feed back. Im going to cut my flow master off and not use a muffler using a single exhaust. Should sound pretty good from what i hear and read on here
Straight pipe Sorry, but I hate the sound of straight pipes. When I got my car the guy had a "custom" straight pipe exhaust done. No cat, no muffler and the tips exiting under the liscense plate like the CME only not a CME LOL. But it sounded absolutely horrible. It lasted long enough for me to take the car off the trailer into town to order a bullet and then back home to get the exhaust cut off. Then I ran a single bullet dumped, was still loud, but at least it did have the rap of the straight pipe.

Thats just my .02, but straight pipes are for old redneck trucks not f-bodies
Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

If you still have cats "straight pipes" sound pretty good IMO.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramair21
lol...just to let you know, the only way to make an F-body sound worse than removing the cats is to remove the muffler These cars don't sound very good compared to many other V8's out there. Mufflers and cats are a must for a decent sounding car. If you don't feel like using a more restrictive 80 series Flowmaster muffler, you can always rig up a single chamber in there. It'll sound a lot better, flow a lot better and be a lot louder.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

I still have the cats on there still. Im still debating on what to really do. My car sound really good already. i just want to get rid of the 90* elbows and have a free flowing exhaust. I already have 3inch from the cats back. But like i said i have heard some F-bodies on here that sound so good!! I feel like i can get some more out of my car
Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
lol...just to let you know, the only way to make an F-body sound worse than removing the cats is to remove the muffler These cars don't sound very good compared to many other V8's out there. Mufflers and cats are a must for a decent sounding car. If you don't feel like using a more restrictive 80 series Flowmaster muffler, you can always rig up a single chamber in there. It'll sound a lot better, flow a lot better and be a lot louder.
Cats with no muffler out the back of the car, is actually a pretty good sounding set up. Its a heavy sounding idle and once the exhaust pipes
are heated up, it not really that loud unless you get into it, but thats
all exhaust setups..
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

All i can do is just cut off the muffler and see how it sounds like. I drive like that for awhile to see if it grows on me or if i just want to put on a muffler. But as far as TIPS go it doesnt matter what style there are they will sound the same right? Well close anyways....
Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya know i always thought that as well. i thought having huge fat tips would make the exhaust sound louder..
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
ya know i always thought that as well. i thought having huge fat tips would make the exhaust sound louder..
In glad im not the only one