Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just joined the "over rev of the month club"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just joined the "over rev of the month club"

got on it last night and prob shouldnt have because i was so tired. shifted from the top of second and dumped the clutch back into 1st . needless to say i wasnt fully prepared for it. rpms spiked, traction control kicked on and the clutch was slipping like a ****. finaly pushed the clutch in and it stalled. i was like oh ****! costed to the side of the road and it didnt start right away and then finaly fired. its running smooth so far no ticks pops bangs. clutch was alittle pissed but it worked it self out. my question is should i replace pushrods and springs to be on the safe side before i drive it anymore? its driving fine but this has never happened to me before and it wasnt like i was just granny shifting through the gears.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you broke something youd be able to tell, ask how i know. haha, id say dont fix it if it aint broke
Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by t/a98
if you broke something youd be able to tell, ask how i know. haha, id say dont fix it if it aint broke
haha ya i figured. its running smooth. actualy smoother than before lol. wasnt sure if i should be looking for new pushrods, beefier springs and while i was in there 1.8 rockers (i dont plan on a cam for a long time). not sure tho. i get all bent out of shape (no pun intended) when i screw up on stuff like that. i didnt sleep well last night lol.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Omec
haha ya i figured. its running smooth. actualy smoother than before lol. wasnt sure if i should be looking for new pushrods, beefier springs and while i was in there 1.8 rockers (i dont plan on a cam for a long time). not sure tho. i get all bent out of shape (no pun intended) when i screw up on stuff like that. i didnt sleep well last night lol.
haha i understand that ive barely slept lately im waiting to tear mine open to find out what failed, mechanics say wrist pin im hoping valvetrain
Old 08-23-2008, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Omec
got on it last night and prob shouldnt have because i was so tired. shifted from the top of second and dumped the clutch back into 1st . needless to say i wasnt fully prepared for it. rpms spiked, traction control kicked on and the clutch was slipping like a ****. finaly pushed the clutch in and it stalled. i was like oh ****! costed to the side of the road and it didnt start right away and then finaly fired. its running smooth so far no ticks pops bangs. clutch was alittle pissed but it worked it self out. my question is should i replace pushrods and springs to be on the safe side before i drive it anymore? its driving fine but this has never happened to me before and it wasnt like i was just granny shifting through the gears.
that made me kaugh. i think youd know by now it you broke anything.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

i agree with the above... you should be fine unless you start hearing some strange clicking, clanking, tapping noises... keep an eye on your oil pressure for the next couple weeks and see how she runs...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
i agree with the above... you should be fine unless you start hearing some strange clicking, clanking, tapping noises... keep an eye on your oil pressure for the next couple weeks and see how she runs...

thanks guys. im gonna take it out later and treat it to an ice cream or somthing to make up for it. my right arm is going to be the death of this car mark my words lol.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

I did the same thing a few years back during a 1/4 mile run at the track. I thought the 10 bolt went, big bang and major wheel hop, parked it and babied it all the way home 70+ miles. Insalled a Lou's short shifter has not happened since, but car is running fine, probably hurt the clutch some. I have numerous runs on my bolt-on LS1 since it had 500 miles on it and continue to drive it hard, stock clutch stating to slip but thats about it. Thats why I buy GM and not Ford.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GG01SS
I did the same thing a few years back during a 1/4 mile run at the track. I thought the 10 bolt went, big bang and major wheel hop, parked it and babied it all the way home 70+ miles. Insalled a Lou's short shifter has not happened since, but car is running fine, probably hurt the clutch some. I have numerous runs on my bolt-on LS1 since it had 500 miles on it and continue to drive it hard, stock clutch stating to slip but thats about it. Thats why I buy GM and not Ford.

oh ive done that too but it wasnt becuase i put it in the wrong gear. i did it like 3 times when i was learning how to shift.only thing i can think of was i wasnt timing the clutch and shift right. rear end made a bang and jumped. im tellin yall im gonna kill it .

anyone ever hear of the valve springs weakening after a mech over rev? ive read it somewhere and was unsure if it was true.