Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH vs Pacesetter, price/performance...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARH vs Pacesetter, price/performance...?

I need a new catback and a few things so I'm just going to do my exhaust all at once since I can get it done free (helping a mechanic who has a lift).

Pacesetters are damn cheap and I noticed a lot of people here have them, and seem quite content with them. I also noticed people claim ARH are the best, and, they are what I was going to try and save for.

Is there a large difference between the ARHs and Pacesetters in the performance (or sound, actually, mainly sound) areas?

If it's really not that much, I'll go with Pacesetters, hopefully they aren't a pain the install.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Go with some ARH's 1 7/8.....
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetters are VERY easy to install. I have no experience with ARH, so I don't know how the install is for them or their power gains.. but I got good gains from Pacesetter on my car...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Go with some ARH's 1 7/8.....
Do they justify me saving an additional grand to buy them? Or are Pacesetters very similar?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Launching!

For me you get what you pay for. My Z has ARHs. I have a set of Pacesetters NIB that I am willing to sell to ya!

Not joking.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Do they justify me saving an additional grand to buy them? Or are Pacesetters very similar?
IMO, get the Pacesetters and use the money you saved on something like a nitrous kit

The ARH's might be a 5rwhp difference...but all that extra money isn't worth 5rwhp to me...even if it was 10hp difference..no way..
Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by USMC Devil Dog
For me you get what you pay for. My Z has ARHs. I have a set of Pacesetters NIB that I am willing to sell to ya!

Not joking.
Any particular reason you switched?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

i just ordered a set of coated pacesetters and the multi-piece tsp y pipe and i shoud get them on the 15th. got the headers,y pipe,2 02 exstentions and new gm gaskets for 620 shiped to the door so way cheaper than the arh set. the arh's are ss but i actualy wanted coated ones to keep the heat out of the engine bay(had chrome bbk's on a stang and they made every thing in the engine bay very hot) i like to get the best deals and the bast bang for the buck that i can so you can get the pacesetters and some other mods for the same money.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Atleast go with a stainless header.

Pacesetter headers= Rust

I have Ebay stainless headers right now. No problems at all Cost me $200 shipped. As soon as I go H/C I will switching over to ARH 1 7/8's
Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Be sure to sell your stock catalytic converters to at least help you keep a little bit of money in your pocket.

Several guys on here pay around $150 for them...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the main factor will be material. Do you want a header like Pacesetter that will rust or a stainless header like AR that will last a lifetime?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I think the main factor will be material. Do you want a header like Pacesetter that will rust or a stainless header like AR that will last a lifetime?
But are you going to have the car for a lifetime?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

I cant tell you about performance since i dont have my LongTubes installed yet but have you considered BBK's LongTubes??? They come with there own Y Pipe and are just $500 shipped from LMPerformance. Well the silver coated LT's are for 500, the chrome are for less. Anyways for $500 w/ Y Pipe isnt bad. That's why i went ahead and went with them.

If you want quick bang for the buck, then go with Pacesetter's. Besides you could always upgrade to ARH in the future after you've done more mods to the car.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jetlag

I would like to think so. Besides if your dropped ARH is the way to go. Mine are tucked under very nicely. They took me 15 minutes to slip (YES SLIP) them in. My friend Rebelphotog84 has a VERY good writeup on the board when he bought his. I originally bought my revised pacesetters and TSP ypipe for my WS6 but never wanted to install them because they wernt SS like the others. Then my WS6 was taken from me (Bastard insurance adj). As much trouble as others are having with kooks and qtp why not use ARH.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

I just got the ARH, but my main concern was ground clearance. I'm dropped 2" and based on reviews here, the ARH are among the best fitting long tube & Y pipe combo. I'm not sure I would have gone Pacesetter as a second choice, I probably would have gone something more toward the middle of the road.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

I have had both. The pacesetters are AWESOME for what they are... a low cost coated LT header, and they fit absolutely AWESOME. They held up on my car for 20k miles of daily driving (rain, snow, salt, etc.). I took them off only because I had ripped off EGR and AIR and didn't want to deal with a breaking emission fitting. So I sold 'em for about half of what I paid, and the coating was still in great shape, some browning on the very bottom but not nearly what some people say (total rust fest). I now have a set of ARH and could not be happier (not only the quality, but the customer service you get from ARH should you ever have a problem, made it worth it, to me). If I had to do it again I'd have held off till I had the money for these. Just my $.02 so take it for what it is, an opinion.

Performance? No idea. I will hopefully be getting back to the dyno before the season is over. I have since changed to ARH and added cats and a Magnaflow (from !Cats and TDs), so who knows.

-J
Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetlag

Well I don't ever plan on getting rid of my car so I bought stainless exhaust.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Kook's on the car I'll never part with and am very happy. I have coated Pacesetter's on the car that will likely be traded for a vette in 3 years and guess what... I'm very happy with those headers too. It's all about what you want for your dollar.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a shinier header isnt gonna make your car go any faster!! i am more than happy and impressed with the pacesetters.

u should look at some of the stainless steel headers everybody raves about. i seen a few in the parts for sale and look like crap too.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Im very happy with my pacesetters. They went in super easy, just slid right in and the ground clearance is great. I would say it not to much different then stock ground clearance. They are a very good for the price. I don't have any experience with ARH headers, but they sound good too.

Quick Reply: ARH vs Pacesetter, price/performance...?