Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gained 63hp/25tq With H/I/LT's...Normal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gained 63hp/25tq With H/I/LT's...Normal??

my mods are in my sig. my before #'s were...336rwhp/347rwtq...i had all below minus heads, intake, and lt's(i had mac mids). after the heads, intake, and lt's(upgraded from mids), my #'s were...399rwhp/372rwtq. and i dont know what cam i have, but its small, zo6 or hotcam...maybe. so are these normal results for what i have added. dont get me wrong, im happy with the overall #'s, but when i look at the gains only compared to what was added i would think i'd of gotten a few more hp and quiet a bit more tq.

before

after
Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, you can't compare two different dyno brands against each other while having changed components. Each dyno brand will read different. Also since they are from different shops, that also adds in to the variables against consistent numbers. And finally, the main power mods were Stage 1 heads and upgrade from Mids to LTs. I thought by intake you meant the manifold, but you meant cold air only. That may see results at the track only.

Having said that, you may have gained 63 on paper, but actually it could have been more like 20. Mustang dyno are notorious for reading lower then Dynojets. Based on solely your current mods and current dyno results, I would say you are about right for your mods.

Also, I would have the shop that did the last dyno set the print out to Smoothing: 5. Setting the smoothing to zero is for inflating the numbers, because it reads the inconsistent spikes.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

by intake i meant ls6 intake. sorry bout that. i had an ls1 intake before. i dont know much about the smoothing, but i will ask them about it. thanks for the detailed info man.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 regarding above (12secSS)

The 4.10's don't help dyno numbers, but sure do get up & go. So, you lost a little there. Nothing to be concerned about, I'd trade paper dyno numbers for 4.10's any day. Anyway, what size is your TB? Do you have a plot of the fuel curve? One other benefit of having a small cam is that you may also be able to use 1.75 or 1.8 rockers. Ask PRC before doing so, to make sure that there is enough valve spring travel without causing coil bind.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

^^^the tb is stock. but im about to get it p&p'ed by a sponsor. im gonna call hpe about the fuel curve, i was wondering where it was myself. i will probably stick with my setup for now. cuz in a month or so im gonna put in arp rod bolts, ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, and a new custom cam.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

the pp throttle body will help along with the new cam. im sure you will be able to brake 410 once they get in. what are the specs of the new cam if you dont mind me asking?
Originally Posted by badazz99ta
^^^the tb is stock. but im about to get it p&p'ed by a sponsor. im gonna call hpe about the fuel curve, i was wondering where it was myself. i will probably stick with my setup for now. cuz in a month or so im gonna put in arp rod bolts, ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, and a new custom cam.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

well I haven't spec'ed out a new cam yet. that's just the direction where I wanna go. I'm about to move with my job, so I gotta get all that **** figured out and then get settled in. and then I can focus back on my car. but with the new cam, I'm hopin for closer to 430-450.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You would please let us know what cam is in there. I'm curious to have my heads ported for my hotcam. I really don't want to change cams until this motor craps out (if ever). I definitely want to squeeze every horse out of this little hotcam. Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
You would please let us know what cam is in there. I'm curious to have my heads ported for my hotcam. I really don't want to change cams until this motor craps out (if ever). I definitely want to squeeze every horse out of this little hotcam. Thanks
haha, believe you me brother, if i knew what cam was in here i would tell everyone i knew. but there is no way of finding out till i do a cam swap and see what i pull out. it should be a few months, but i will defineately post it up.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

a small shot will fix everyones problem...
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

just wondering if this is true or not but dont mustang dynos read 15% less hp than most other dynos?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

im not sure what the percentage is, but they do read lower than dyno jets.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

well 15% seems way to much.. that means u would of made 458 at the wheels which doesnt sound right to me especially with a baby cam in it.... i would go back to the dynojet and have them make a few pulls and see what it really makes...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
well 15% seems way to much.. that means u would of made 458 at the wheels which doesnt sound right to me especially with a baby cam in it.... i would go back to the dynojet and have them make a few pulls and see what it really makes...
y would I go back to the dynojet to see what it ''really'' makes, when it just got dynoed on a dynojet monday. the first graph posted was on a mustang dyno and that was when I first bought the car. and yes, there is no way in hell I'm close to 458. I think the #s r right for what I have.