Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Mods, Need some info

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Mods, Need some info

I drive a ’97 C5 A4 with current mods listed in sig. I have the money and my mind is made up that I want heads and a cam. My choices are:

Heads:
PRC 220cc 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads From TSP

Cam:
Magic Stick 3 Camshaft From TSP

From what I can tell with talking to people and reading on here is that this H/C package would work well for my car and make some good power. Is anyone running this current set up? Any recommendations either for, or against this set up? I’d rather not have to do any fly cutting.

Now I’m assuming with this cam ill need a stall, is this correct? I have read were some say you defiantly need a stall and others say with a good tune you don’t. The way I see it is ill need a stall eventually anyway so I might as well get one now probably in the 3200-3400 size range.

Onto the fuel, I know ill need larger injectors than the stock ones with this set up. I plan to run a 150 shot of nitrous also so I should be in the low to mid 500 rwhp range, would I be able to get away with the stock fuel pump or am I taking a risk?

Does anyone know of a good installer/tuner in MN, ND, SD area? I live in Fargo ND and I am willing to drive a little ways to find a good installer/tuner.

I know this is kind of long but I appreciate any comments back, if you do give suggestions for other products please give a reason why, Thanks.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That will be a nice setup! Have TSP sink the valve seats in the heads so you can run the MS3 with plenty of piston-valve clearance without flycutting. You'll absolutely need a stall, 3400 would be the minimum IMO. I would also run a minimum of 30lb svo injectors if you're going with a wet shot, 42lb green tops if going with a dry shot. Based on other folks' results with that package, you're probably looking at 440ish rwhp n/a, almost 600rwhp on spray. Really a good idea to upgrade the fuel pump at that power level, low fuel pressure + nitrous = boom. Another thing to think about would be upgrading the stock rod bolts.
My only other thought is: That h/c combo will make power to ~6800rpm. That's a lot of rpm for early year rod bolts, they're known to be less stout compared to later motors. No way to tell if it'll hold together or not, so it's a risk spinning past ~6500 with stock bolts. Some claim to have wound early stock short blocks past 7k and lived, some spin bearings without ever going that high......your choice.