Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sprocket gring cam plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprocket gring cam plate?

hello everyone! i need awansers and hopefully someone can help me out.
well i just recently installed a cam in my 2000 camaro, and have sine put about 1500 miles on it. well the problem started one day when i decided to go for a little cruz, i pull out my drive way and get about 3 blocks from my house when my car started acting funny. i noticed i had no oil pressure(loss of power, fluttering realy bad, guessing it was the vales filling with air), assuming my oil pump went out. i turn the car off, then start it again but still no pressure. so i towed the car back to my house. today i changing my oil pump i noticed a good bit of metal shavings in the oil as i was draing it.i decided to pull the cam sprocket, then i noticed grinding marking on the back of the sprocket and cam plate! what could have caused this to happen? i was not happy to see this, it made me feel sick to my stomach. im just praying it no my cam bearings. i tried to move the cam to see if it was loose but it would not, although i was able to turn it by hand.
sprocket gring cam plate?-picture001.jpg

sprocket gring cam plate?-picture002.jpg

sprocket gring cam plate?-picture003.jpg

sprocket gring cam plate?-picture007.jpg

sprocket gring cam plate?-picture009.jpg
Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the setup. Some have reported that the cam is not cvut corretly int he front so it is tight against the retainer plate. If you have your stock cam, compare the distances.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Teching In

its a trex from thunder racing. i compared stock vs trex, they were the same length. the cam was rubbing a little but nothing that would worry me. the sprocket "grinding" on the cam plate it whats got me.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Teching In

come on guys any more input? i realy want to get everything back together. any educated advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks, chad.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Lack of lube is what I would say, actually wait that would have nothing to do with oil pressure loss so yeah you lost the pump and it ate the cam plate, that plate is what keeps the cam from moving forward to back, there are no cam bearings that control that, not like the bottom end, the bottom end uses a thrust bearing to keep the crank from moving front to back, that plate is your cam thrust bearing.

I would imagine the snout of the cam is probably galled now too, as long as there is a film of oil in between those pieces that should not have happened unless somehow the fitment of the pieces actually caused a lack of clearence, when you get the new plate slide it over the snout of the crank and bolt on your new cam gear and make sure it all spins freely.

Just in case you dont realize this, a film of oil on metal to metal parts actually keeps the metal from touching, the oil molecules will seperate the pieces from touching unless the clearence is so tight that is squeezes the oil out.

Exact same concept of how a crank can spin in metal bearings without touching.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help! i just relized i spelled grinding wrong in the title. so you think they had contact once i lost oil pressure? so should i start reassembly now? the front of the cam is fine, just a little burn mark on it.
thanks ,chad.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cmc02
thanks for the help! i just relized i spelled grinding wrong in the title. so you think they had contact once i lost oil pressure? so should i start reassembly now? the front of the cam is fine, just a little burn mark on it.
thanks ,chad.
Yes I think you lost oil first or there was a clearance issue. Have the cam checked for runout and roundness before reinstall, or you may be right back here again, get a new oil pump and pray for your bearings.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Teching In

well i have a new oil pump, chain, and sprocket. the only reason i think the cam had contact with the plate is because the sprocket was pushing on the plate. on the otherside of the plate where the cam made little contact with the plate there was just a little burn mark, nothing that would make me think that the font of the cam was damaged.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Note that the plate you have is no longer available. The new one is the L92 plate and requires special bolts and torque values.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

well i have a new oil pump, chain, and sprocket. the only reason i think the cam had contact with the plate is because the sprocket was pushing on the plate. on the otherside of the plate where the cam made little contact with the plate there was just a little burn mark, nothing that would make me think that the font of the cam was damaged.
Well thing is the cam is hardended I dont think the gear is I think that is the difference in why there is more damage to the pulley, there is no more pull on one side of the plate than the other, like I said get a plate, a gear, and assemble it on the cam out of the engine and make sure you have free spin, thats exactly the setup in the engine the cam just floats.

Now if you had oil pump misalignment of some fashion that caused the chain to pull the gear back then I guess that could happen but havent heard of that issue before.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Teching In

i dont under stand why they wouldnt have that cam plate if the engine is still being produced?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

i dont under stand why they wouldnt have that cam plate if the engine is still being produced?

An updated version, when they update something they ditch the original.

That was my take on the post anyway and I know how dealers are, sounds like what happened, hell maybe even something related to oiling revisions, hopefully.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Teching In

i mean im sure this is a very rare problem but still wouldnt make since to me!