Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splash guard under crank !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splash guard under crank !!

Hi wonder if somebody can tell me how important the splash guard/plate or what the name on it is. I have built a new engine and mount it in the car, and of course I forgot this plate. And what is the name on it?
Any help would be grateful. I’m adding a picture of it, so you all understand what I’m talking about
Reg Chris.
Attached Thumbnails Splash guard under crank !!-tahoe-engine.jpg  
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Windage tray and yes it is important to oil control.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the windage tray, the crankshaft will suck up the oil in the pan onto itself. The rotational force cause the oil to wrap itself around the crank, causing an increase load on the rotationing assembly. This results in reduced power.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People running larger than the stock 3.668 (whatever it is) stroke have to notch this the clear the connecting rods on BDC due to the longer stroke. Like say a 383s 4.0" stroke. Some poeple just dont run them. It causes you to lose a few hp at top end. The windage tray helps to scrape excess oil off of the journals too from what i understand.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

You can shim the Windage tray up to clear the crank.

Here is a 4,125" stroke crank with a Windage tray. Not much stud left though.

You will also need to tweak the oil pump pick up when you do this to ensure you have good clearance from the pan.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris10an
. I have built a new engine and mount it in the car, and of course I forgot this plate. And what is the name on it?

ok ok i dont want to sound like some huge jerk being new here and all but did anyone else catch this U built this engine and dont even know what a windage tray is called? I hate to say it but i dont see this motor lasting long...
Old 10-18-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89IROC
ok ok i dont want to sound like some huge jerk being new here and all but did anyone else catch this U built this engine and dont even know what a windage tray is called? I hate to say it but i dont see this motor lasting long...
Um up until this past week i thought a Chicago valve was the name for the 1/4" quick disconnect fitting used on like impact guns and such. This is coming from a guy who uses tow behind air compressors and jack hammers at work all the time and air tools at home. Not everyone always knows everything even if they do it ever day.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, its a nice thing to have, but cars have run without windage trays for forever. I wouldn't bother to remove the entire engine to replace it.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you button up a motor and then realize you've left a needed part off. You need a checklist or have your parts layed out in a logical order on the workbench if you aren't the type of person who just automatically remembers everything. I think "windage tray" is somewhat of a misnomer. How about "g force" tray or "scavenge" tray or even "skim" tray. Fuel and Alcohol cars use wet sump with baffles and a pickup tube that swivels back and forth when the oil in the pan is slammed fore and aft. I think if I had gone through all of the steps to do a rebuild and then realized I'd left this part off I wouldn't even be asking this question. I would instead be removing the pan screws.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe he just bought the shortblock from a vendor and never had it to begin with? I say he'll be fine without it provided he secured his pick up to the stud and didnt have any loose nuts left on their studs.

Quick Reply: Splash guard under crank !!