Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car is unusually inconsistent

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car is unusually inconsistent

my 99z has an FTP ram air kit, slp lid, ls6 intake manifold, ported t/b, pacesetter lt's/3"ORY, exhaust dumps after axle(no muffler). i have all the free mods that i know of and a full street/dyno tune making 326 rwhp and 347 rwtq.

Stock n/a motor, tranny, and 2.73 rear. no traction control.

now that i got that out of the way im having a bit of an issue....i lose to alot of cars i sholdnt be losing to. for example, i have a friend with pretty much all the same stuff except ram air and tune but he has a big stall performabuilt tranny and 3.73 gears making 319 rwhp and he kicks my *** from any roll. i can occasionally get out on him by a car or so depending on my launch but once i hit second he starts to pull.
anyone got ideas on why this is??? oh yea i have an auto too.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by forgotten LT1
my 99z has an FTP ram air kit, slp lid, ls6 intake manifold, ported t/b, pacesetter lt's/3"ORY, exhaust dumps after axle(no muffler). i have all the free mods that i know of and a full street/dyno tune making 326 rwhp and 347 rwtq.

Stock n/a motor, tranny, and 2.73 rear. no traction control.

now that i got that out of the way im having a bit of an issue....i lose to alot of cars i sholdnt be losing to. for example, i have a friend with pretty much all the same stuff except ram air and tune but he has a big stall performabuilt tranny and 3.73 gears making 319 rwhp and he kicks my *** from any roll. i can occasionally get out on him by a car or so depending on my launch but once i hit second he starts to pull.
anyone got ideas on why this is??? oh yea i have an auto too.
Gearing my freind. The same car with 2.73 will dyno higher then with 3.73. He also has a converter which will make a difference. Change the gears put a converter in it and youll be about the same...difference will be driver error.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

i was sorta thinking that but according to alot of people his big stall car from a roll should not be beating me. we go from a 35 roll everytime which is my best powerband. every once in a while i can get out like hell and he wont catch me till he hits his limiter at 130ish (he never recalibrated his speedo).
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gearing + stall = your loss

Stall will always allow him to get to his power band quickly.

The gearing will allow more torque per revolution of a tire then you so you lose on both fronts.

I have almost 60hp more than another ls1 m6 car near me, but from launch I get nailed off the line badly, and from a roll he'll pull initially but once we get into where my hp and torque is higher, I will usually pull car lengths. Simple difference is gearing. Proper gearing makes a big difference in our cars, and for auto cars, a stall pretty much allows autos to quickly jump into their power bands.

HP is bragging rights, its the mph you gain at the end of the quarter mile, its the top speed you make. But for short bursts, torque is what moves you and what will dominate the launch (other than traction) and the jump off the roll. HP will let you reel him in in an extended run.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

im takin notes. so for now ill try some different rolls and see where i do best until i get the money to do what i want. hes not beating me nearly as bad as he used to though. if he lags on his launch at all from 35 i pretty much beat him by a few cars. it pretty much goes without saying that i dont stand a chance from a dig lol. its just weird that me racing the same cars from the same roll speed sometimes i win and sometimes i lose horribly. i do have almost-bald tires but its less harsh from a roll.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be almost impossible for you to overcome your gearing disadvantage. I bet you get sweet gas mileage on the highway though, so revel in that for the time being till you can gear your ride. Better yet, wait and put a real rear end underneath it.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

lol amazing gas mileage...like 450 a tank! i have to admit i love that part. I do wanna beef up the rear end so i have less to worry about when i start motor and tranny surgery
Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

My question is why did GM decide a 4 speed was a wonderful idea?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zachness
My question is why did GM decide a 4 speed was a wonderful idea?
A 6-speed automatic capable of handling an LS1 didn't come along until 2006, 4 years after the death of the F-Body. There was a 5 speed matic in 2000, but if you think the 4l60e is weak, then see what happens with a 5l40/50 behind an LS1. The 5l40 is rated for 250 lb. ft. of torque, and the 5l50 for 311 lb. ft.