Sponsored by:

solid roller questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default solid roller questions...

Ok two main questions...

1. How often do adjustments need to be made, and what kind of adjustments are made to what? How long does this process take?

2. If i were to have solid roller heads, what would need to be changed to make them hydrolic roller heads?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: solid roller questions...

Ok two main questions...

1. How often do adjustments need to be made, and what kind of adjustments are made to what? How long does this process take?

2. If i were to have solid roller heads, what would need to be changed to make them hydrolic roller heads?

Thanks in advance.
If you set the lash correctly the first time... you don't have to check it but maybe twice a year tops if you're driving this car every day. As far as how long it takes to do it, all depends on how good your skills are. I did it today on a motor I'm building right now and it took about 20 minutes, and that was taking my time and talking to some people in the room at the same time. In the car it will take a little longer, but not that big of a deal.

As for your second question, you're gonna have to rephrase that, because there is no difference in cylinder heads with solid rollers or hydrualics. The difference between a solid roller cam and a hydraulic is...

1. The cam- stronger metal
2. the lifters- obviously they are solid.

Later
Chuck
Old 10-14-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll agree, we adjusted my valves in about a half hour, the first time, in the car. Wasn't bad at all. That's why I relocated my coil packs, BTW.

But, I'll disagree on the heads - in specific, spring pressures. Depending on the way you have the springs set up, some valvesprings used with solid setups could kill a hydraulic lifter pretty quick. I've heard of guys running close to 600 lb open pressures. Try that with your stock lifter.

-Andrew
Old 10-15-2003, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

The heads i was looking to buy had "machine work" that cost extra to be for a solid roller car. I know what is diffrent about the lifters and cam, however the heads are diffrent too. here is what i am referring to...

http://www.futralmotorsports.com/engine.htm

The last option for the heads is the "S" option...

"Futral Motorsports Stage 2, 3 LS1 or LS6 Heads option to set up heads for solid roller camshaft, using 1.55 dual coil valve springs and titanium retainers and completing necessary machine work for solid conversion."
Old 10-15-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt
Old 10-15-2003, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

They could be machining in clearance for adjustable rockers....
Old 10-16-2003, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

could be, but i thought i was told its for larger springs. they machine the seats because solid roller cams are like 600+ lift. *shrug* any one know? any sponsors that do this want to chime in?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:00 PM
ms4
Teching In

could be, but i thought i was told its for larger springs. they machine the seats because solid roller cams are like 600+ lift. *shrug* any one know? any sponsors that do this want to chime in?
I would imagine specially prepared heads would be cut with large spring seats, and clearanced to allow higher lift.

btw, you don't have to run more lift with a solid cam.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Youre right, you dont have to run more lift.

And thunder states...

GTP / Thunder Racing STAGE 2 SOLID ROLLER PREPPED Cylinder Heads, 2.020 / 1.570 Valves, assembled with Isky heavy-duty dual coil valve springs and titanium retainers, machine work for solid roller camshaft

What do they do for 'machine work for solid roller camshaft'? I know they machine the seats...is that all they do?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

They also open up the pushrod holes. I'm running 3/8" pushrods (heads went on/off a couple times getting clearance). We're also running larger stem valves (I don't remember what size, but I know they're different ), vs stock 8mm, for strength.

I don't know if they had to do anything to make the T&D's fit or not. The retainers Thunder is using on my heads are pretty trick too. http://www.akmcables.com/srheads.jpg (my rockers / springs / retainers ). Nice holes for spring oiling.

-Andrew
Old 10-16-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats right, i was told that wider pushrods are used, i knew there was something else done to the heads. thank you. So just out of curiousity, say i wanted to go hydrolic, can i still use the heads with the larger holes for pusrods?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:41 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Andrew covered alot of it. The solid roller heads do recieve added machine work. This includes:

- cutting the spring seats for the larger diameter springs (typically ~1.55")
- clearancing the rocker rail for the T&Ds
- enlarging the pushrod holes due to the change in valvetrain geometry and depending on the application, the larger 3/8" diameter pushrods

Also, Andrew, the heads you have use the smaller 5/16" diameter valvestem (8mm stock). The valves are slightly longer than stock valves to work with the cam/valvespring setup.

There is no problem using the heads with a hydraulic cam as long you can find a spring/retainer/lock setup to work with the hydraulic cam.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Camaro_Zach, check your PM box - its full. I was trying to send you a reply about the rockers but couldn't get through so I posted here figuring you'd get an email notification.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

what about wear on the lifters? i thought Soild lifters needed to be replaced about every 5k or so due to wear?