Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

puff of blue smoke on start up???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Angry puff of blue smoke on start up???

i know this is usually associated with leaky valve seals, but i changed my valve seals last night and drove around for a while and this morning when i started the car

bam, puff of blue smoke right out the tailpipes

the only thing i can think of is when i was installing the valve seals, i accidently tapped one of them too hard with the 12mm to press is on and i tore it on the valve guide. well i replaced that one and continued. hopefully i didnt do that to more and not notice it, although i checked all of them when i was installing them

im gonna pull the springs off AGAIN tonight and make sure the seals are all ok

can anything else cause a puff of oil smoke on startup besides leaky valve seals

any suggestions

on a side note, when i took the car out to drive it around last night, it felt like it was falling on its face at around 5-5.5k, however im pretty certain this was just bad gas cause it was detonating (audible) and the weather was 10 degrees cooler that it has been and the car never ever detonates.

any ideas on this also
Old 10-30-2003, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be leaking around the guide or a crack somewhere, also could be that the valves are loose in the guides. I know none of this probably help to much, but they are all options. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the spring cups on aggressively ported ls6 heads crack on the heads themselves causing this type of problem and oil consumption through my top end before!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:53 PM

If you by any chance put a low temp thermostat in the cooling system, take it out and chunk it, and put the stock unit back in. Alot of people that have put those in have similar symptoms. The aftermarket low thermostats, are way too low, and actually ruin an engine over time.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by sawedoff
If you by any chance put a low temp thermostat in the cooling system, take it out and chunk it, and put the stock unit back in. Alot of people that have put those in have similar symptoms. The aftermarket low thermostats, are way too low, and actually ruin an engine over time.
I'll call it.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no low temp stat here

do valve seals kinda need to set a little bit

because throughout the day the amount of smoke that comes out on startup has gotten significantly less. just about none the last couple times i started the car

i also seriously dont think the heads are cracked because i checked them over very thoroughly both before i installed them and 1000 miles after. also the valves sit fine in the guides

im pretty certain it is/was just the seals, but like i said, throughout the day it has gotten much much better
Old 10-30-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
I'll call it.

I aggree with 4mula
Old 10-30-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawedoff

For Real...where is that info proven??!! I've got 110,000 on a Stage 2 Head, X1 cammed motor with a 160 thermo...my fans come on at 170degrees and I hardly ever see 200 degree's w/the scanner....only on a HOT summer day in HOUSTON and me not going very fast will the temps reach 200....other than that....I see the low temps as saving my motor
Old 10-31-2003, 12:56 PM

Guys, go and do a search on this site and look it up yourselves. This topic has been debated many times. Go and buy some books, study and go to a real professional racing engine builder, not a fly-by-night speedworks, and they'll tell you the same thing. Enough said, I'm not going to sh*t on this nice man's thread by arguing about an unrelated topic that doesn't apply.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Is there a possibility that you have oil leaking around your intake valve rocker bolts into the head from the porting? That will cause it, too. That's a pretty easy fix.